Topic

Antigravity Gear Pot Feedback

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Antigravity Gear Pot Feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Denis, the picture you are showing is of my trowel. I got my inspiration from Montbell and Bill. I wanted to do this ever sense seeing the Montbell trowel, Bill made me realize I could do it.

James, I would love to help with a scanned image but I no longer have the paper template I used, and my trowel is currently being looked at and is not in my possession. I don't know if this helps but the paper I used is standard engineering paper. With that paper and my picture, a copy could be easily made. I can give you the dimensions of the squares or any other dimensions if that will help. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My trowel is currently being looked at and is not in my possession."

Eric yours was a creative solution (Hose clamps)in the construction of your TI Trowel. Hope who ever has it left 3 kinds of ID and a credit card!

Regards

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

James, et al,

I'm going to try to insert a drawing I converted from autocad. I hope this works.Long Neck Titanium Potty TrowelPotty Trowel Pattern

The First Photo is of the trowel I made. It's got a longer handle than the Mont-Bell, and weighs .46oz.. The second pic is a pattern based on the Mont-Bell. I used Eric's method with many hose clamps. If you bend the Titanium sheet around a piece of half inch PVC you get a shape that matches the Mont-Bell. Bill Fornshell was right about putting a "V" in the handle to make the tool stiffer, for hard digging. The photo shows where I used a center punch to mark the location of the lanyard hole. I used a Harbor Freight punch to make an eighth inch hole.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Sweet!

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

I also created this Ti Trowel, aka Bill Fornshell. I used a dry erase marker to mark on the sheet as that just rubbed off after I was finished. I used regular old tin snips to cut it out, and did't bother making a hole because all I do with the trowel is throw it in the ziplock with my TP. I still need to file down the edges and will do that shortly. I also didn't bother using a blowtorch to heat/pound/bend/however the heck BF did it–instead i just took two pairs of pliers and then bent it. It was pretty easy. It weighs .55 oz, which is what I had calculated before beginning the project, so I have no idea how some other people made a .3 oz model. Perhaps their handle is smaller or something.

It doesn't look great–but hey, I use it for digging holes in the ground to #2 in. Its not like I'll have to impress my buddies with it in camp or on the trail(clean tarp, backpack, etc). :D

I also didn't bother with a hole in the handle for a lanyard…because couldn't see any use of having a lanyard on a trowel…

Ti trowel

ti trowel

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the "lanyard" hole. I agree with Crazy Pete, as a trowel the lanyard hole will go unused by me, but if I need to use this as a stake the hole will come in handy. I haven't used it as a stake yet but wanted to have the option for when my titanium skewer stakes won't hold because the ground is too soft.

We sure hijacked this thread! What shall we set the ransom at? :) It may be worth moving this under the Make Your Own Gear section with Bill's original post so future readers can more easily find this info.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

How the heck did a question about AntiGravityGear pot morph into a discussion on potty trowel???

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Our minds are in the toilet.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

The AntiGravityGear pot didn't work well as a trowel so we looked for a lightweight alternative…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I would just use my boots to kick up a hole before I even think about using a pot! :)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

An ultra-light backpacker wears boots?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sure! Nobody looks at skin-out weight, right? :)

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Who likes vanilla?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Ben,

I've spent a bundle on reducing on-the-back weight. Now for the hard part… Skin-in-Weight.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

So true. In our country anyway, most people middle age and up can find plenty of places to cut in terms of "skin in" weight. :(

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I bought the JetBoil 1.5 L. pot B/C a salesperson at REI told me of its greater efficiency W/ his MSR canister stove.
    Since I had a new MSR Wind Pro I got the JetBoil pot and found he was exactly right. Better boil times and virtually no weight penalty compared to my old 1.5 L. aluminum pot. Plus the Wind Pro pot stand supports fit nicely in between the JetBoil pot's corrugated bottom "Flux Ring" heat exchanger for greater stability.
    I easily removed the new pot's wire handles as they were extra weight & interferred with my windscreen. I use an UL pot gripper.
    With this new JB pot I feel I got most of the vaunted JB efficiency W/O buying their gimicky stove.
    Eric

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Got my TI sheet in the mail today and cut out my trowel to the pattern Denis provided. I went through a LOT of dremel tool wheels. I turned out pretty good. Now I have to bend it and put the "V" in the handle. I put the center punch in the hole using a hand punch I got at Harbor Freight a long time ago.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Well folks, here is my finished trowel:

My Trowel

I had no problems making it.

I cut out the trowel from the sheet of Ti using my Demel tool. Safety glasses were key! I went through a few wheels…

I wrapped it around a 1/2 pipe with a lot of grief and the help of hose clamps. I had to use a vice for part of the operation.

I chose to add the cord so I can clip it outside my pack.

Final weight was about 1/3 oz.

I am really pleased with the end results. The orange plastic trowel is a piece of gear I have always wanted to get rid of. I want to thank all those that helped (set up the web site, posted the template, gave suggestions, etc). That was really great.

I'll post about how it works once I get a chance to field test it. :)

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Shiznit – Expresses extensive emotional satisfaction or glorification…

You guys are way too attached to material things! I get that self-same satisfaction just from the act itself! Don't need no stinkin' gear for that. BAH!

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

James, it looks very well made. Great job!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Got my TI sheet in the mail today and cut out my trowel to the pattern Denis provided. I went through a LOT of dremel tool wheels.
    Buy some good long-handled tin snips. They will cut Ti sheet OK.
    Thought – take a scrap of Ti sheet with you to the hardware store and CHECK!

James Pitts

@jjpitts

OK… I went through three wheels. That doesn't necessarily count as a "LOT". A little dramatic exaggeration on my part. I didn't have a pair of snips that were up to the task. The dremel tool cut very well and left very clean edges for shaping. I used three sanding wheels up on the shaping. The template really came in handy for this.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

James,

That's a mighty fine piece of work. I used tin snips and then filed a bit, for a slightly raggy edge. Yours looks as good as Bill's or Eric's. When I get around to finishing the other 5 I plan to make I'll try to be a bit more professional with my finish work. I'd like to give them away to backpacking friends. My tin snips are very old Wiss but the cutting was eaiser than I thought it would be.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools