Topic

Fats, Saturated, Trans, etc. While Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Fats, Saturated, Trans, etc. While Hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I, too, was able to hike 20-35 mile days on the PCT on nothing but absolute crap for months on end. However, the ultimate result was that my metabolism was destroyed. I'm slowly clawing my way out of that two years later and let me tell you, it is a painful struggle. Eating healthy food is not a problem, it's how truly awful I have felt the last couple of months.

I don't think a little junk food here and there when backpacking is going to hurt you, but months on end of it may do a lot of harm, at least for some of us. It may be worth it to hedge your bets and opt for healthier versions of your favorites, if that is at all possible for you.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools