Topic

Seeking material & pattern recommendations for simple ultralight windbreaker.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seeking material & pattern recommendations for simple ultralight windbreaker.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I'm wanting to make a very simple and easy to make ultralight shell (3 oz or less)….a pullover with a short zip (or velcro) and tall collar or hood and no pockets. I'd wear it under my pack and at camp.

I don't know that I need the latest and greatest material….but I'm open to all suggestions. I just need it to block some wind, be able to shed a little moisture and most importantly, be a bright and easy to spot color…preferably hunter orange (I often hike during hunting season).

Which materials should I be looking at? And does anyone have a particular pattern to recommend?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

http://thru-hiker.com/kits/lr_shell_kit.php I've made a couple hooded ones that come in at around 2.5 oz. Lots of color options.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Brendan! Looks good. A bit more money than I wanted to spend but….I'm sure it would save me time/grief.

I couldn't tell from the description/photo. Does this kit come with a hood or did you make your own?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I've made the large thru-hiker windshell and it came out to 3.5oz. It has a hood, lycra on the arms and waist and elastic in the hood with two micro toggles. I made it with the 1.1oz nylon on their site. It could be made lighter by shortening the hem and using lighter elastic in the hood but I've never worried too much about half an ounce. Love the pattern but the hood is a little tricky to add. It fits really well though. Definitely the best way to go in my opinion.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

My Liberty Ridge in Large comes in at just over 3 oz without a hood, I used 1.1 oz ripstop. The pattern and instructions were great and it turned out awesome. I've never missed having a hood but I've seen a number of people add one on.

I've never used Momentum, but by all accounts its nicer than the 1.1 DWR ripstop.

Adam

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

GO HERE

Have made two using SI fabric. Weight came in at 5 ounces.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks to everyone!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools