Topic

LW backcountry skis

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking LW backcountry skis

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Looking for advice on choosing a light BC ski. I plan on using a light / med weight NNN BC boot and binding.

Criteria:
    1: Use for point A to B in Sierra type mts. as quick as possible. No real downhill hucking planned. No routes that are technical ups or downs planned.
    2: Prefer waxless, but maybe thats more trouble in uphill performance…
    3: Some moderate downhill performance for someone with dormant technique a plus-
    4: reasonable price
    5: dependable /strong

Body wt: 185 w/out pack
    6'1" tall
    Size 12 feet

length/width/brand/model suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

http://life-link.com/dynafit_intro.htm

here are some insanely light carbon touring skis + boots and bindings, life-link makes the poles u want too

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I am strictly a downhill skiier, so I dont kno if this is what you are looking for, but I saw that Ryan jordan was using these, so I checked them out.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Ron –

I used to ski Dynafit skis. I have a pair of their approach skis (the 130 cm) which are OK but are BAD for downhill control with a heavy pack and a pair of Carve Lites which have since been replaced by the similar-weight carbon-hybrid skis.

I now ski on Goode Carbon 82's. They are about as narrow as you can go for deep backcountry powder with a heavy pack. I have Dynafit Comfort bindings on them and ski in the Dynafit Race Pro boot.

Now, I see your criteria and your desire to "tour".

I think a touring setup is fine, but there's not a lot of touring to be had in the "Sierras" if you really are going up there for a mountain traverse, and I think if you think you won't encounter steeps you'll be underestimating the potential for routes there and probably, limiting yourself to the valleys.

An AT setup will at least buy you the ability to more safely get down mountainous terrain with a decent sized pack.

It's a ton of fun, too.

I think the only change I'd make to my current set up is to move to a slightly fatter ski. The 82's are a bit thin for the deep powder here in the Rockies. Since the Sierras are predominantly a coastal range, they would be fine.

Goode skis are expensive, but there has been some really good deals on them at eBay. I've seen them go for less than half their retail price.

Erin McKittrick
    BPL Member

@mckittre

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska

Can't help, but I'll jump in here, since it's just what I was wanting to know as well. In my case I need the skis to travel down the length of the Alaska Peninsula next winter (but I'd like to get them soonish to test them out this winter). And I have no idea what sort of bindings to get, either.

-Erin
    http://www.aktrekking.com

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

If you cherry pick your destinations you should be able to find fairly flat tours in the Sierras, most westside approaches are gentler or up around Tahoe at Royal Gorge or Kirkwood.
    I've been using Alpina's NNN BC 2050 boot & BC binding on Karhu 10th mountain skiis this season, this is an edged ski.
    You could save a pound and half by going with something like the Fischer Rebound Crown and Alpina BC 1550 boot.
    I do know that it's getting late enough in the season that I'ld rent until the sales hit. Good luck.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Fisher rebounds if you are skiing CA snow and don't need lots
    of floatation. Very fun, you can skate when it's hard, pattern
    bases too. Short, easy to turn, light and easy to carry on a
    backpack.

F or beginners bring a stub of kick wax or skins
    to augment the bases when climbing.

eric blumensaadt

@300winmag

I just got new Asnes Combi Combat sticks.(Norwegian Army skis)
    Haven't skied them yet but they are light and, at $355. from Neptune Mountaineering, will also lighten your wallet. These skis are expensive B/C they are made to military specs and must be both light and very durable.
    I'm using Voile' release plate bindings (for backcountry safety) & Voile' 3 pin bindings & quick attach cables as well.

As a National Nordic Ski Patroller for 10 years and an Army ROTC winer survival instructor I'd recommend these skis. I've skied ones with similar sidecut and found that width to be an ideal all around ski (at 210 cm.length for me).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools