Topic

Older bper fastpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

The last few years on occasion, I do a little of what I guess is fastpacking, running/jogging with your bp trip, part of or all of it. I'm 58 now and where no witnesses are about, will jog on flats and downhills on the morning I come out from my trip. Did this a week ago along the PCT in CA's Buck's Lake Wilderness, a few miles from home. Do you still do this? Kinda hard to get into a normal jogging gait, kinda like a old mans shuffle just about. I still take pride that I don't jog like that. On another topic I started got me to thinking that I achieved a good days mileage on the Rae Lakes Loop in Sequoia NP, CA by jogging the second day out, down the river from Vidette Meadow.
    Duane

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

If your knees can handle it, go for it. I'm always worried if I run down hill that I'm going to permanently ruin my knees, but then I've got personal and family history against me.

HJ

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Just wait until you guys get really old.

–B.G.–

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

HJ, with me collecting stoves now, most trips I'm packing two stoves unless it is a week long trip on vacation. I don't want them rattling around. My bp trip a week ago down into Lost Lake below the PCT, I thought I would save time on my way out, so took a XC route down to another small lake. Trouble, much bush whacking, only saved 10 minutes from when I hiked in the day before and I could have made good time going out the way I came in and jogged down to my pickup.
    Bubbs Creek is where I went the second day of my Rae Lakes Loop trip, made good time and only saw two rattlers, more than in August this year when I came up.
    Duane

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Just wait until you guys get really old."

+1 :(

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Maybe I'll get a trail name if I can continue making the younger crowd look slow.:)
    Duane

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If I see you coming down the trail, I'll trip you with my walker.

–B.G.–

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

lol

Mark Montag

@mmontag

I'm well on my way past the mid-fifties and have been a recreational athlete all my adult life and always fast-pack including a lot of off-trail miles and big elevation gain/decent.

With weight on your back a fast, long stride, controlled walk is just a fast as "jogging" without adding that bounce to your joints – just like an efficient stroke for cycling or carved turns for skiing it's important when fast walking to use all of your muscle groups with each stride – it take practice, you have to train your body to gain that efficiency. With a middle age body I've also found that a routine of stretching and of course exercise is key to enjoying those long hikes.

Keep up the pace, train & hike smart to stay injury free for a long, long time! :-)

mM

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I've had a desk job the last 7 years now. I have poor posture, then with sitting at my cubicle most of the day, I tend to place my feet under my chair, on edge, so after sitting for a bit, when I get up I walk like an old person. I have neck issues, so I havn't ridden my mt bike much the last five years, I need to get higher handle bars or a taller riser and get back to riding it a few times a week. I do jog twice a week, weather or not, a few miles each time.
    Duane

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools