Topic

Ultramarathon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Ultramarathon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i have tried and tried to enjoy running. i love the idea of it, but is such a peeving thing that i can not seem to run without end forever.
    one might note that my running is lame looking and not at all smooth. some would say, that "i suck at running".
    but, i am pretty adept and lugging loads up hills. the issue is that the hills are quite far away form me, and it costs me almost as long driving as it pays in hiking, for a day trip.

to that end, i just now (literally) brought home a couple of large tires. i intend to drag these about the neighborhood.
    if i can not get to the hill, i will bring the hill to me.

stay tuned.

cheers,
    v.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"i intend to drag these about the neighborhood."

Please tell me your having someone shoot video…..

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"i intend to drag these about the neighborhood."

Consider a training 'chute –

TrainingCute

MYOG, and LYAO….

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i am THERE.
    methinks this is the way to go.
    no impact, lots of breathing, and you get to lean into it.

lessons learned on first night.
    1. – (as per Doug) … wait until night. it's not so lame looking**, and there's less traffic. you get hit between the tire and you, is all over. (the rig needs a easy to break rope for this to be safer).
    2. – one remarkably stout 225/70×19 truck tire is not enough to do real damage. i could tow that thing for days. tomorrow i gott'a find a more manly size, or double up on it. we need more weight. it seemed substantial when i tossed it into the car, but it tows less than it .. whatever.. just needs more.
    3. – is suspect the second tire should be rigged behind the first one, not on top. this would give more stable traction/friction.
    4. – the tow chain rubbing on the ground gets extremely hot and when putting my rig away, it burned a nice patch in my arm.

** – factually (for BPL), yes. it is fully as lame "looking". but, since there is less, if any, light … then does it look as lame if nobody can see it ? and thusly, lesser possibility of "looking".
    from here it may be noted that lame looking, is not the same as looking lame.
    this might be one of those symantec word thing sorts of traps.
    take it directly to chaff.

stay tuned.
    v.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Hey Miss.

Yeah I'm definitely going to do the trail ultra instead. Doing timed track races just really is a dud idea for me I think. Not only the race itself, but from everything I've read, you really need to get a lot of concrete/bitumen road training in to prepare for them, uggh. Just sounds too boring! And the trail ones are obviously more specific to hiking.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I've done this before for training myself. Its interesting for fun, but unless you are planning on pulking, or getting into sprinting, or walking to the south pole, I think you are better off just doing some stairs. Unless of course you are bored, and also have no stairs near you. I find that you need (ideally) about four or five flights minimum to have a good workout from them. The best is probably around 6-8, with a lift so that you can take that down again most times to save your knees.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools