Topic

How hard is it to put a headhole in the middle of a down quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How hard is it to put a headhole in the middle of a down quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Since I now have a down quilt on order, I was wondering how tough it would be to put a headhole in it ala Sierra Sniveler. Any hints or suggestion? I'm picturing myself sitting in the middle of thousands of down clusters lol

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

A smiley face shape is great because it keeps your head warm as well. No need to make a hole, just a cut and sew.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Do you mean under controlled conditions at home, or accidentally in the middle of the night in the field?
    :-)

Cheers

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I've added head holes like the JRB quilts to my last two quilt projects. I'm not sure if the quilt that you ordered is baffled or sewn-thru. It would probably be a lot easier on a sewn-thru quilt. I have been making quilts with 1" to 1 3/4" baffles and adding the head hole to the middle baffle. It wouldn't be too difficult to just push all of the down to one side on your new quilt, then add something like this and sew it back up. Here's a few photos of the process. Good luck!

baffle w/ head hole

baffle with head hole

quilt

quilt closed

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

The quilt I ordered is baffled.
    Thanks for the pics!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools