Topic

Fish show & tell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Fish show & tell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Let's all share photos of the fishes we catch on our hiking & backpacking adventures as they happen. It'd be great to share the location, the rod used, the fly or tackle, and anything else of note.

I'll start!

10" Cuthroat on Pup Creek Falls

I caught this cutthroat in Mt. Hood National Forest on a side creek of the Clackamas River yesterday. I caught him on a 12' Fountainhead Caddis Fly rod with a #14 Parachute Adams. This guy was in a pool part way up a large waterfall. My friend and I climbed the slick rocks with fly rod in our teeth to get to the pool and after only a few casts I saw a bright flash and this guy struck my fly hard. Here's an illustration of where I found him:

Pup Creek Falls

Okay, your turn!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Pintler Wilderness this past August, after throwing spinners w/ no luck my wife suggested grasshoppers as she some near the meadow where our tent was setup, caught a few and then had to improvise a bobber.

Two casts later I caught this on 2# test (I really didn't think there was any fish near this size in the lake!) after I saw what I had on the other end I didn't think I had a prayer of landing it, but somehow managed :)

Photobucket

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Fishing in Minnesota is like cheating! Holy moly that is a giant trout.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Rainbow, cutthroat, and golden in the wind rivers. Caught with gold kastmasters and Mepps Black fury and chartruse spinners.

bow

cut

gold

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Kyle said "Fishing in Minnesota is like cheating! Holy moly that is a giant trout."

never have fished in Minnesota, but the fishing in Montana isn't half bad :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

LOL Mike. That is a big fish.

cutt

Not far below Schaffer Meadows on the Middle Fork of the Flathead, on a 3 day packrafting trip, we floated over a deepish gravel bottomed pool and necks snapped when someone pointed out the shoals of huge trout holding station on the bottom. We camped not far below, and I waded up to hunt 'em. The second or third cast with my TenkaraUSA Amago (10' 4 weight level line, 6x tippet, probably a size 16 yellow humpy) brought this one in. He fought and fought, and Justin (who had never seen Tenkara in action) was impressed with the bend in the rod.

There were much bigger fish seen and hooked on that trip, but none landed.

Holger Goehr

@holger

We go once a year kayakfishing to Fraser Island. In fact I am drying food right now, we gonna have our anually trip next week.
    The north west corner of Fraser is pretty isolated and everybody has to be totally self sufficient. One week kayaking, fishing and camping on the beach. Water is our biggest limiting factor, there is just so much you can carry(30L).

LongtailTuna

Longtail Tuna off Fraser Island, on a Squidgy Paddletail red/white. Caught of a kayak.

Golden Trevally

Golden Trevally off Fraser Island. Caught on a Halco crazy deep 8+, caught of the kayak.

Love your pictures guys, I'd love to go fly fishing for Trout!

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Mike, that is totally cheating, but awesome none-the-less.

So I went fishing/backpacking in the low season of the San Gabriel river up in Iron Fork in Southern California a month ago.

This is what the river looked like

Iron Fork

Was catching trout with some panther martins. This is the biggest one I caught, but unfortunately I didn't show anything else in the photo for scale, haha. Its probably around 12 inches, was the only one I kept.

Fish

And this is a pic of me and my grandpa fishing near the sierras when I was little, just found it the other day so I thought I'd share :D

GrandpaAndMe

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Great Thread, I love Fishing pics. :)

Here are a couple from a day hike along a small river in the mountains here in Idaho.

bows

Last backpacking trip fish was in mid September into some alpine lakes in the Sawtooths. Hit some rarely seen lakes well of trail from our base camp. The lakes were loaded with strong Cutthroats.

Cutt 1Cutt 2

All were caught on Tenkara-Fishing gear, most were taken with Kebari's though I have also had a lot of success this year with Mini-Hoppers.

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderooscomcast-net

Locale: Mid Atlantic

This is a brook I caught this summer on a 3 wt fly rod w/ a size 20 pale gray midge just at dusk at Marie Lake on the JMT. Took 60 min and probably a dozen flies until I found one this rising fish would take.brook trout on JMT

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I don't fish much… I'm mostly "trip photographer," so I don't know all the details of what gear was used, but on a trip into Los Padres National Forest back in May, my buddy landed a couple of Rainbows.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Lake Vernon, Yosemite NP

Russ Porter

@russp17

Locale: Anchorage

Below are some varied photos of fishing including my first steelhead!!! (actually second didn't get a pic of my first.steelhead

Grayling on backpacking tripgrayling

Jim Leonard
    BPL Member

@mxracer33x

Locale: West Coast

Here is my Fisrt Tenkara Monster :D This was the first fish I caught on a tenkara rod. Funny thing is, they only got smaller from there that day!

Tenkara trout

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Jim,

No shame in that monster! That's about the size of the first fish I caught with my tenkara rod as well. No picture though – it was dark and came out blurry.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

I caught this fish last Tuesday, it had a snake that was just about as long as it was in its stomach.

Snake in trout
    Snake in stomach

Snake length
    The snake was just about as long as the trout.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Outstanding!

Moments like that are remembered for a long time. Thanks for sharing !

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"6 weight Sage fly rod

Islander reel with a slow sink tip fly line.

The fish was released."

Mike: Very nice. You are pure in a way I am not. A silver on a fly rod must be a handful – silvers seem to fight more per pound than anything else we have up here.

That is a tasty fish you're holding. We had his brother for Thanksgiving – whole fish in foil poached on the BBQ grill.

Lots of fish in the freezer caught with a net – go for scokeyes.

A few fish caught on rod and reel – silvers are far more exciting.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

September 17, 2011, my wife and 7-year-old daughter went out with a friend and his two girls in Kachemak Bay trolling for king salmon. He made this one minute video of it. He's got a number of such shorts of clamming, etc, all in a humorous style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWxvMd4NgX8

Editted to add: Gear was probably 30-pound test off a downrigger at 90-100' down, then 20 feet of line to a flasher, 30-inch steel leader to a hoochie / plastic squid.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Thomas Knight

@thomask702

Locale: Sothern Nevada

September 2011 on a grouse/snowcock hunting expedition with my good friend Daryl. He brough along his Pen Rod and reel combo and some powerbait. I had left my gear at home, expecting to hunt more than fish, but used his rod a bit. I wont go into how terrible the rod/reel combo was, but here a few of the trout that we caught and cooked!

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was in Favre Lake, south of liberty pass. it was a great trip.
    Those trout were seasoned with lemon pepper and cooked with olive oil and a bit of water to keep them from sticking to the pan. Also they were stuffed with deer+elk salami. Enjoy

-Thomas

Mike Garcia

@mountainfly

Locale: Aurora, Co

Hello everyone. I'm new around here, but I'll share some pics. All these fish were caught in Colorado on an Orvis Superfine Touch 8ft 4wt.

South San Juan Winderness spring fed pond. Fooled this one with a Turks Turantula.
    SSJWA Brook Trout

Rocky Mountain National Park Green Back Cutthroat Trout. Caught on a yellow asher.
    RMNP GreenBack Cutthroat Trout

Snake River Cutthroat in the Ten Mile Range. My own cutthroat streamer pattern got this guy.
    SNake River Cutthroat

The rarest Trout in Colorado, and yes they do exist in our state. You just need to hike a long way into the West Elk Wilderness to find them. This little guy took a caddis.
    Golden Trout in Colorado

Bon Appetit!
    Fish

Christopher Jenkins

@jinkle

That's about the biggest we caught last summer doing South Lake to Onion Valley but it was a blast nonetheless. Don't get that kind of fishing here in Arizona!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools