Topic

BPL Credibility

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Kohler

@april

BPL gear review presents Drop Stoppers as the best rain gear for lightweight backpackers. Is it merely a coincidence that BPL gear shop is the only source for Drop Stoppers? For many months the medium size has been out of stock and now the large size is out of stock too. Is there a flaw with the product that they can’t resolve? If they can’t deliver the product why is it still listed in the shop and the review still posted?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Andrew,

You might consider Gossamer Gears Dri Ducks
    compare the specs:

BPL (Drop Stoppers) Micropore Rain Suit:
    Materials: Microporous Polypropylene Laminate
    Size: M/L Pants: 4.0 oz / Jacket: 6.1 oz
    Color: Khaki
    Price: Non-Member: $20.00. Premium Member: $16.99 (Out of Stock)

DStoper

Gossamer Gear (Dri Ducks) Micropore Rain Suit:
    Materials: Microporous laminate composite.
    Size: M: Pants: 3.7 oz / Jacket: 5.0
    Color: Khaki Beige
    Price: $20.00 (In Stock)

DDuck

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Gossamer Gear is selling the DriDucks, not the Drop Stoppers. They are the same material. The Drop Stoppers is a little darker tan and maybe has a smoother outer suface.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>Is there a flaw with the product that they can’t resolve?

While some have reported using micropore rain gear for the length of a long trail(bring a roll of duct tape), many of us find them to be woefully inadequate in the durability department. For the record, I'm not particularly hard on gear and trashed mine over a four-day trip. I wrecked the pants the first time I sat down and made a huge rip in the jacket when I held onto a sign to prevent myself from being blown off the Continental Divide. I happened to catch myself in the act here:

Jan Unneberg
    BPL Member

@blueskyii

Locale: Pennsylvania

I've found it beneficial to buy jackets a size larger than needed in both Dri Ducks and Frogg Toggs materials. The extra sizing provides more slack and seems to reduce the frequency of tears.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools