Topic

Replacement tent poles – lightweight but robust for winter camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replacement tent poles – lightweight but robust for winter camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I have a Phoenix Phusion Extreme four season tent that I purchased in the UK back in the early '90s. It last saw the light of day about 10 years ago, when I decided that 4.6kg was too heavy for a two man backcountry tent. I'm gearing up for my first winter trip in years (now live in Colorado), and as much as I would love a Hilleberg, I can't justify the cost of a solo or two man tent on top of a new zero degree bag and the other accoutrements for winter camping.

The Phusion Extreme's tent body itself is in excellent shape but two of the four aluminium poles are broken. Phoenix went out of business long ago, but the pole supplier – Hampton Works – still operates. I contacted them for a quote to replace all four Bulldog Flexipoles and I'm waiting for a reply. However, I'd prefer a lighter weight alternative to the aluminium poles, and one that is easier to pitch in cold weather. I do intend to use the tent in the Rockies, winter only. Can anyone recommend a suitable pole that's both lightweight and strong enough, and a US-based supplier?

Thanks in advance, Stuart

Mark Montag

@mmontag

Don't know how much you want to spend but carbon fiber poles from Fibraplex might work – might lighten the load also.

fibraplex.com

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I heard back from the aluminium pole manufacturer. A new set will run close to $200, and my local repair shop is
    doubtful that they can repair the two damaged poles. So the carbon fibre poles may be just as cost effective and lighter. Thanks Mark.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a fiberglas pole replacement kit available for about $25. It contains several segments of fiberglas pole, some shock cord, wire tool, and other parts. Basically, it can be cut to a specific length of whatever the original pole was.

–B.G.–

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

Try polesforyou.com They made a set of poles for my REI Chrysalis, which has two hubs and all different length poles. It fits perfectly. They look like the original DAC poles. V. high quality.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Fiberglass poles ae very robust, but not what I would consider light weight. 'Corse, a 10lb tent is no lightweight either.
    These people offer most anything in the line of tent poles.
    http://www.polesforyou.com

Edited to say that I didnot see the other post. Sorry!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

quest outfitters sells parts you can put your own together out of al.

Have read about several issues with fibraplex breaking.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

You can easily make your own poles. You can pick what strength you want to make them. Quest Outfitters sells both aluminum and fiberglass poles segments and shock cords and fittings to custom make your own in various diameters.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT POLES

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#FIBERGLASS TENT POLE SET

While I would recommend not using the slightly lighter carbon fiber poles for your particular need, you can get custom CF poles also from Fibraplex…

http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles.htm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools