Topic

Fosters Ridgeline Cans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Fosters Ridgeline Cans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

This is an Introductory Offer for BPL Members Only. It will be for 4 days only. Sale will end Sat. 10:00PM 10/22/11

One can per BPL member email address.

Cost of can is $10.00 + $3.00 shipping.

There is an International button for BPL members on the other side of the pond. Price for the can is the same, shipping is an additional $2.00

Just for general information. I pay $2.20 per can at the store. Contents are not consumed. I apply the ridges myself. It is not farmed out to companies using cnc equipment. I use simple DIY tools in my garage. I'm retired and do this as a means for some fun money. I like being in the piney woods as much as possible.
    http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-ridgline-pot.php

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I think the ridged cans are very cool. Do you do Paypal?

However, the "contents are not consumed"? This is sacrilege. Heresy. A hideous waste of precious resources! At least make some bread, man.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thanks!!! they have a good griping surface and the ridges are said to be beneficial to heat grabbing. Turbulence over the surface is said to help. Maybe some of the experts out there can verify that.

There is a paypal link at the bottom of this stove store link:

I live outside the city. I pour the beer into my septic system. It feeds the digestive organizms that keep the system clog free. Going green all the way, recycle the contents and the container. Next time I'll use some of the beer in a good dutch oven meal. Got to be some good recipes out there for it. I think Foster's tastes better than Heineken. What say you, any preference of the two? I know 4 beers and they all taste the same Dan LOL.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I'm not a beer guy either and had the wife drink my Heineken when I made the pot!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Well, Fosters is a little less hoppy than Heineken, but both are light pilseners… and learning that you'll at least cook with it, I can't resist supporting the concept. I'm in.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you Erik. I used to drink beer up until the time it started making me a little squirrely. They tell me I'll live 10 years longer than most folks because I quit drinking and smoking 30 years ago.

A friend recently sent me an email suggesting to place the ridges on the pot at levels to indicate 1 cup and 2 cups. I did a batch today with ridges placed at those locations. The first and 4th ridge from the bottom. I looks like it will be a handy thing to have on the pot. There are 2 ridge lines between the 1st and 4th to be used as indicator lines also.

John Smith

@csneom4a1

Putting an order in for one now. I have been meaning to try one of these for a while. The ridges marking 1 and 2 cups will be a nice bonus.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

All is going well. Thank you for your interest in the Fodter's Ridgeline.

Hey Eric, yesterday I was able to perfect a way to cut the cans down and cap the lip with a microline ridge cap. You were interested in the size that fits into the small 2 cup Ziploc container. It will take me a few days to adjust my my fixture to go down to that size. I will make a kit available as asap. Here is a photo of yesterdays tinkering results. I did a few test boils with the one with ridges and used the 6 gram modified Fancee Feest design stove.

<center>

</center>

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Ha ha… I bet that subject line works well for the SEO…

Anyway, nice job on this can, Dan! If it weren't so light, the term "beefy" would apply– this is an order of magnitude more durable than a straight-walled Fosters can pot. Very nice.

Say, have you guys any experience taking off the logos? I don't want to use the beer logo with Scouts (was thinking to use Marlboro or wait, nvm) and I know I can take it off with oven cleaner (lye/sodium hydroxide), but it there a great "tip" way out there to do it? My other option is to "flat black it" with some BBQ paint, all the way up instead of just the bottom.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Zelph,

Glad you're making progress. I talked it up quite a bit over the weekend with a few other BPL members who seemed interested as well. Can't wait till you bring them to market!

Erik, try an SOS style pot scrubber to take off the painted finish. I've used this technique on a few soda can stoves that I made and it seems to work quickly enough.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Glad you like it Eric. Beefy, good way describe it. The ridges sure do make a big difference in strength.

I've had many requests for the 2 cup capacity cut down version so I'm working on a batch of 2 dozen. I started this afternoon and should have them ready by tomorrow evening. I should be able to get a paypal button and listing in the store by Thursday afternoon. Next week I'll make a batch of the small ones. I need to get a 3 day weekend into the piney woods being the weather is going to be nice.

I'm also working on a pot grabber of sorts to include with the pot. The grabber is simple and very effective. I've experimented with fiberglass wick wrapped Heiny cans and they are way too hot for my fingers to take them of the stove and pour the water into a ziploc bag. Someday I'll have to do a video of a boiling hot pot and do a laser hand held teperature check on the fiberglass attached to the pot. If the water inside is 212 degrees, the fiberglass on the outside must be very close to it. That's too hot for me to handle. Been there, done that. Densley braided fiberglass wick has no insulating properties when heated by the walls of the pot. Who started the wrapping of heinekens anyway.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I would suggest a metal Fornshell pot gripper maybe using titanium.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi Bob, the grabber I'm working on can also be used as a lip protector when drinking from a hot pot. Takes the place of a silicone wrist band thingy that is popular.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Dan, those little ones look sweet. I'd be interested in a 2 cup version (or maybe just a tad more so I could actually boil 2 cups: 550ml?). Post the link when you got 'em up in the site :)

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

Dan,

You had asked for people to send you Fosters cans to make you new pots. Budweiser and Bud Light are in 24oz cans as well. I find them on the side of the road a a lot down here. Id be willing to keep a better eye out and pick them up for you if you would like. Is there a difference in the Fosters and these cans?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi Adam, those 24oz cans are taller and smaller in diameter. Thanks for thinking of my needs.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I was able to complete 2 dozen and get the listing up in the store. I have only "Blue" cans for now.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Is this the size that fits into a 2-cup Ziplock screwtop container? It looks a bit tall in the photo on your site.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

No, the small one that fits into the plastic container is a 1 cup cpacity. That one comes next in a batch of 12 as soon as cans arrive from Florida. This evening I have to start another batch of regular full size.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

I figured as much. The new design seems to be keeping you busy! I'll wait anxiously till the 1-cup arrives.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Eric, I have one prototype that I will let go right now. Purchase a regular size can and send a note with your paypal payment saying "prototype 1 cupper" I'll also include another one that has a little ding in it but still good at no charge.

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

Dan,

Could you please tell me the dimensions of the Fosters can, the OD and height? I have no interest in this than other to help you find a cheaper alternative for a baseline resource. Thanks

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

The height is 6 inches and the OD is 3.25 inches

Let us know what you can find out there. Has to be aluminum in the scheme of things being light weight.

The cut down, 2cup version of the Fosters weighs 20 grams. If anyone knows of a pot/container lighter than that, let us know. Has to be usable strength wise.

Aluminum foil Origami pots not accepted LOL

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Got your original and have to say it is a really nice and rugged pot.

I am somebody who usually uses a six or eight ounce pot, so I will throw my name into the mix of folks that would like to see a one cup pot made that has these nice ridges and a top ring.

Thanks!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

John,

I've got prototype of his 8oz coming my way and I'll let you know what I think.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools