Topic

Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

After my WFR in Gunnison I walked up to Gothic. Spent a beautiful 5 days in the wilderness. Enjoy.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Nicely done, Matt. Perfect blend of scenery, wildlife, and little glimpses of your hiking/camping style. Now I want to go there.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Great job. Nice catch on the pine marten.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Thanks guys. I had a great time. That was my first trip to CO. I'm going back as soon as I can.

Edit: Subject

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Yep, very nice solo Matt.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

It's been a couple of years since I've been to the Maroon Bells, but it still stands out in my mind as one of the prettiest places I've been in Colorado, or anywhere for that matter. Thanks for posting, it brought back some great memories.

-David

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Super Cool—-Seven Nation Army Remix-Nice!

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

I was impressed David. The wild flowers were peaking along West Maroon. Beautiful.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Jay, if you haven't put an ear to The Glitch Mob yet, they're worth more than a listen. Thanks.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Very nice. Was that a hooded button up shirt you were wearing? Is that myog or commercially available?

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I was thinking about that shirt too, it looks pretty nice.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

The shirt is made by Kuhl. Nylon and Ploy. Love that shirt.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I see they still haven't cleared a path through that avalanche. Nice video. I like how patient you must be to put your self in motion in so many spots. I rarely do that, but did add several time lapses.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

All the matchsticks are still there. Michael, I've fallen in love with time lapse. Really enjoy seeing long processes collapsed into just a few frames. I don't think patient is the word I'd use, but thank you. Really, I have a hard time seeing scale in videos or photos that don't have a reference. Seeing that most of my hiking is done solo, I'm the most convenient yardstick.

Thanks for looking and sharing gang.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Sweet video report!

The music makes it seem like you were eating molly or something – I wish my trips were that intense, man.

But seriously, nice job.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Thanks Tyler.

Found the track a few days ago. I really like the Stripes and the Mob, a perfect blend for me. Wanted to use it for an edit and this is the one it worked best for.

Yeah intense. All at a half days walk to Aspen or Gothic. Ha!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Matt,
    I'm willing to spend significant time getting the photo I want, but for whatever reason haven't been willing to frame the video shot, then walk however far and then come all the way back to retrieve my gear. I especially liked your stream crossing and the bravery of hand holding on your second pass. That was a nice edit.

I assume you're using the CHDK hack? Which TL script did you choose? If you have lots of time to kill you can watch my vids.

Which UL tripod do you use?

Finally, what was your route?

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Michael: I didn't even know about the CHDK. Thanks for turning me on to that.

I use an Ultrapod 1.
    I wouldn't be so brazen to cross any body of water with my 60D, but the risk is worth it with the SX30 IS. I wish I'd have adjusted the exposure, but my feet were really cold and I was ready to get out of the water and build some body heat.

In my last comment I was teasing about this being an intense trip. Really I was out just to see the place. No goals, except I knew I wanted to see the hot springs in the Conundrum drainage and I'd heard the wild flowers in West Maroon were going off.

I choose to do East Maroon first. Gothic to Copper Lake, E Maroon Pass then North off my map (Latitude 40º maps "Crested Butte Taylor Park"). West to W Maroon (not clear on this section because I was off my map) South on W Maroon, around Mount Bellview to Rustler Gulch, over the pass Southwest of Cassi Peak (off trail lots of fun. I know you're not supposed to oops), Triangle Pass to walk North along Conundrum to the trail head off my map. I didn't stop at the hot springs on my way North, so… Retrace to Triangle Pass and drop to Copper Lake and back to Gothic. Got lucky and got a ride all the way to Gunnison the first time I stuck out my thumb just South of Gothic on my way back to CB.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

> over the pass Southwest of Cassi Peak (off trail lots of fun. I know you're not supposed to oops)

I'd like to hear more about that portion. I was originally planning to do the same thing, but with my knee & socks bugging me I chickened out when I saw how it looked from the end of RG trail. It didn't look like it would be too bad if my lower half was in normal condition though I had planned to do it the next morning, which would have turned out to be a bad choice as t-storms came through. I backtracked out of the gulch and got a lucky ride to Copper Creek TH and made it to the mine just before dark. :) You can read my TR – much quicker than viewing the videos.

So the SX30 has TL ability built in to it or do you have some kind of external intervalometer? CHDK really extends the camera's abilities. I just have an A620. I had hoped to try some lightning photos but never got any t-storms that had good opportunities.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

The SX30 IS doesn't have time lapse. I have a 64 GB memory card and I roll video. That's why my battery died on day one. Oh, well.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Diggin the martin, saw my first one on a PCT section last year. Curious little buggers, so energetic. Second, that shot of the snowmelt drink just about made me quit my job! Love it. Third, I know I'm ocd, but it looks like that pack could use some load lifters :P

Sweet video. Jealous.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Thanks Ozzy.
    About the pack. I don't keep much in it. I make a virtual frame with my sleeping pad, and stuff the middle of the pad burrito with everything else. This gives me the option to extend the shoulder straps and vent my back. When I carry a more substantial load, I fold the pad next to my back and once the bag is packed I open the valve to get a rock solid compression in the pack.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Michael,
    When I first looked at my map I almost went West over the pass to RG. I thought I could use the easy climb on the East side of the pass to build the confidence to drop down the other side to RG. As it was though, I was huffing and puffing anyway. I had spent about 14 days in Gunnison, but I'm coming form DC at a little over 200'. I had some catching up to do, and I never feel like I really got there. So I opted to stay on trails first incase I got in over my head and needed to bail. The contours on the West side of the pass concerned me more than the East and I've always been better at climbing, so I chose to climb the side that I was more cautious of. Not sure that's exactly what I want to say. I'll try again. I knew the West side would present more of a challenge to me. Either by my understanding or lack there of. A perceived level of comfort and fear. That place where we (however small the challenge i.e. this case) get to rub shoulders with our limits and we make our choices and hopefully become better outdoors people. I think I made the right choice for me.
    Technically, there wasn't much more to do than look for the most positive places for footing and kicking when I couldn't find something good enough to stand on. Go do it. For me it was a good choice to do a little off trail walking in a low risk location.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

That video is really great, giving me motivation to give it a try, really much cooler than still shots. You just raised the bar on trip reports!

Dave T

@davet

slaying the Maroon Bells!

nice one with that Glitch Mob remix. don't like their recent direction, but seen them lots of times and definitely love their older (pre-Drink the Sea) stuff, both collectively and individually (though the Drink the Sea mixtape is good).

great trip!

p.s. i might have to start a "glitch/whomp/wobble/future bass-lovin' ultralighters" thread, to compete with those bluegrass and whatnot music threads. represent!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools