Topic

Going back to big packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Going back to big packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I think the beefier stays will be necessary to carry the heavier weights the pack is, at least in part, designed for. I'd say the typical 20-25 lb max loads most BPLers carry are probably ok with the current stays, assuming the pack is properly filled. I found it to carry far better with the load filling the pack to at least the top of the stays.

On the recent ULBC trek, I had a base of about 9 lbs and carried little water. On day 2, Josh Leavitt (of Ruta Locura and formerly of Titanium Goat) and I walked another student out and carried him back to town. We had to break camp, walked 8-9 miles to the TH, drive the student 2 hours to Billings, drive 2 hours back to the TH, and make it at least the same 8-9 miles back in so we could catch up to the rest of the group on day 3. Knowing the task ahead, we hung all of our food except a day's worth of snacks and anything else we wouldn't need in an emergency. I probably had 7-8 pounds in my pack and it carried fine. I also found it to carry fine the last few days with minimal food.

In hindsight though, I'd compress it down some before loading it so that the load is carried closer to the back with a taller but slimmer profile. I feel like this will get the load up near the top of the stays resulting in better transfer to the hip belt. Granted, with < 10 lbs transfer to the hips is not necessary for most men.

Does that help any?

Gary D
    BPL Member

@doc

Thanks Chris. Sounds like the pack will suit my needs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"what do you do with the hammer perpetuem, nido and starbucks? Do you have a separate bottle for it, or do you just throw it into your normal water bottle?"

I use an old 12 oz wide mouth Nalgene bottle for my Via and granola at breakfast, Then for Pereptuem during the day. After I finish my second serving of Perpetuem, typically mid afternoon, I rinse the bottle VERY thoroughly and let it air dry while I am still hiking. That gets it pretty much odor free, as Perpetuem is not very fragrant to begin with. At night, I fill it with water and take it to bed with me. By morning I have a bottle of water at near body temperature for coffee if I am solo, or to reduce fuel usage if I am with someone and we are heating water. The bottle serves as bowl and bottle, thereby eliminating a separate bowl for cereal, for a total weight of 2.6 oz. I consider it pretty much weight neutral, and a space saver.

The Nido is added to the granola baggie, along with shredded coconut and a little whey protein. Just add water, screw the cap tight, shake, and you're ready to eat.

"Do you keep the bottle out of your tent at night in case it smells too much like food for bears?"

I don't worry much about bears smelling the bottle, but if I were in serious bear country, I would probably hang it and do with cold coffee in the morning if solo.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I almost always have to take a bear canister here in the Sierras and I love my Catalyst. When my hiking partner couldn't hack the first few days of a seven day trip I ended up carrying both Garcia bear cans (and carried them the whole trip, as it turned out). Both cans were sideways at the top of my gear, starting with six-plus days worth of food in each (for the two of us).

My Catalyst carried just find, very comfortable. And I only have the one central aluminum stay, which was standard when I bought mine. Now they have two stays. A great pack at three pounds.

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools