Topic

Lessons learned in 2006?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lessons learned in 2006?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

What did you learn or figure out in 2006?

I learned that double ended stuff sacks make it easier to get at the stuff on the bottom. And that putting stuff sacks directly on things like tarps, ponchos, hat covers and pack covers means not having to fish for the right sack all the time. And that dual alcohol/hexamine stoves are a good idea. And that wicked tea light cups make very efficient alcohol burners. And that turning poncho/tarp reinforcements into pouches to hold pull-outs and lines keeps the lines handy and neat and keeps the pull-out loops from catching on brush.

What did you learn?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I learned that I should not have quit my job on a trail crew and moved away from the mountains to work in an office.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I came here and learnt I have a lot to learn
    and here's a good place to start.

I learnt that if I think about designing something
    I can make, like a stove, I come up with too many
    ideas and drive myself nuts !

I learnt that my design for a tent had some great features
    but much easier and better to go out and buy one.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

1. You can carry the lightest shelter/pack/whatever but when you finish a trip with over 5 pounds of extra food and fuel it's all a bit pointless.

2. COMMIT! Put it on the calendar! Get your permit and go! Start training! Talking, dreaming, plotting, and hoping have nothing to do with DOING!

3. I don't need toilet paper!

4. On a trek through the Sierras I was told by 4 different parties that Forester Pass was unpassable- too icy, too dangerous, turn back. Worried, I went on to see for myself- walked right across, no problem. Had I listened: trip over. Trust YOUR OWN judgement!

5. Keep going! Refuse to let books, movies, TV, or other people be your only source of stories and "adventure". Continue creating your own!

6. Gear is great fun, but if you think it will make you "better", you seriously underestimate the value of eating less and training more!

Happy New Year, get out and do twice as much in 2007!

Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

1. Loosing 15 lbs from my gut was easier than loosing 15 lbs from my base pack weight, and much less expensive

2. Once my base pack weight was below 6 lbs, the most important issue to focus on was nutrition in general, and especially caloric density

3. Fishing is a fantastic way to increase one's protein intake on a long trip

Erin McKittrick
    BPL Member

@mckittre

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska

A new appreciation for traveling in topographically unremarkable landscapes. Flat can be beautiful.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

Short answer: trust the people here at BPL to give good, solid, experience based, and scientifically validated advice — many special thanks to pj, Bill F, not so Crazy Pete, Roman Dial-up, Nicholas, JR (the last two the wizards of mukluks and snow weather), Mr. Vines (inventor), and of course hisself Dr.J., and Brett and all the rest of you — including staff, owner/managers, and members.

Things I never thought would work or that I could not do, do work and I can do them. Big thanks to all of you, very big thanks. 2007 is looking like a real good nature fest, based on UL / SUL / and L technical concepts, gear and abilities.

I never thought I would like "land sailing" on my feet compared to being on the water under sail power. NOT. Thanks double again.

Bill Davis

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I learned that Florida has it's own beauty, even without mountains surrounding me.
    I learned that my meds dehydrate me horribly, even in winter-and I have to watch my water consumption carefully now.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

2006 is the year I finally learned a good use for goretex, the year I accepted I have a few limitations and also, hmm, managed to go a whole year without an epic. It is the year in which I let go of my TR [time remaining] theory of life and actually did more outdoors then in previous years.
    Said goodbye to a couple of more climbing friends,geez, this life of ours can turn on a dime
    Bought some crap, got rid of some crap, ended the year with the same amount of crap.
    2006 is the year I decided to curb back my posting and pay better attention to what others are saying.
    Peace

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Thanks to Ray Jardine and BPL, I learned that multi-day backcountry camping does not have to end as you reach the end of middle age.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

2006 was my first year of serious backpacking – i did some trips in college and scouts, but they were more of social adventures in the woods using backpacks to carry the goods 2 miles into the wild.

1. it's going to rain, regardless of what NOAA predicts
    2. top off you white gas canister before the trip
    3. don't force yourself to go on a trip because you will have a horrible time.
    4. just because it's dark doesn't mean you can't hike
    5. high iron content water does not quench thirst
    6. talk to the Park Ranger when he drives past – you might get a free soda.

looking forward to this year – already planning a week long adventure in PA.

-Steve

mark henley

@flash582

I've taken a bit of a different perspective on 2006.

In 2006, My brother's wife passed at the tender age of 46 of a 40 year old undiagnosed liver illness, my Father fell in his own dining room and broke his neck, passing 12 days later, my Grandmother passed of a long illness, My Mother collapsed on New Years Eve of Pnunomia, and is not doing so well, my former Mother in law passed of a long illness and a former sister in law passed of Cancer at Thanksgiving.

The lesson learned is simple … make today, this week, this month, and this year count. There may not be a next year for that trip you've always wanted to take, so make it happen this year.

And never miss an opportunity to take time for those that you care about.

Happy new year to all on BPL …. and may your journeys lead you to ever more challenging trails.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"The lesson learned is simple … make today, this week, this month, and this year count. There may not be a next year for that trip you've always wanted to take, so make it happen this year."

I couldn't agree more. Very well put.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

Shawn and Mark, et al.,

You have captured my new years thoughts … no more putting off the taking of time off and getting out the door … there is always something "else" to do that stands in the way of investigating this wonderful place that we live — near several wilderness areas (designated by the gov't.) and our environment. So, thank you for the summarized zen like formulations. It inspires me to follow through this year, and take a weekend or odd day off that would otherwise be spent puttering around and goofing off spent out 'there', to see others doing or expressing same.

That kind of encouragement and inspiration flows from what the BPL mission staement calls recognizing or creating a "core group" …. thanks for the thought and motivation. bd

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

2006 opned my eyes to the pain of heavyweight backpacking. I did 100 miles in 8 days (a feat for me at the time) on mountainous terrain with a 50lb pack. I was sore the entire trip. Afterward I pldged to never hurt like that again on a trip. I then converted ultralight backpacking. Today my summer base weight is just over 8lbs including my 2 lb digital slr camera. Thank you for all of your help and insight. It would not have been possible without the BPL website and you people.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I learned that the four-wheel drive of a brand new Jeep can only go as fast as the Ford Festiva in front of you!

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Do I really need that?
    Is there something lighter?
    Take a chance, enjoy life!

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

That a GPS is cool technology but in the Sierra mostly extra weight. That my nano IPOD which seemed to be just the thing to have on a solo trip ended up living in my pack after the first night. I just didn't have any desire to share the mountains with artificial music, as much as I love music.

In fact most high tech stuff isn't all that useful in the mountains, except for my new dSLR :)

You can't beat an air mattress for comfort, even with the weight. Though I wish someone would produce one in which each tube is separate from the rest.

I learned that I really need to rexamine the tradeoff between bombproof and lightweight. Not having to worry about stuff that is fragile may just make up for the extra weight. Oops, that's blasphemy.

I learned that I hate mosquitoes, wait, I already knew that.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

That mother nature is still the boss. Found out early one morning at Trail Camp on Mt. Whitney. Respect her. I also learned some important lessons in Yosemite dealing with mother nature again. She is the almighty ruler of everything mountains!!

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ken,
    Sounds like there's a story or two behind your lessons.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Yes, Ken. I agree with Vick. Let's hear them if you don't mind. I'm sure we all can learn a thing or two also.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Oh not a problem.

Went with a group of friends that I do hiking trips with each year. They're all more traditional type backpackers. For a shelter I brought my Tarptent with the idea of camping at Trail Camp. The weather was perfect for Aug. and we arrived at camp and all of us proceeded to set up camp amongst the mass of humanity there. Unfortunately I could not get my tarp tent to have the rear facing the wind that was starting to blow over Trail Crest. I was unfortunately sideways to the wind. If any of you have ever been to Trail Camp, you will understand that you cannot be to picky with spots to camp. At about 3am my tent collapsed on me. As I woke and surveyed the damage I noticed that my front guy line snapped and rendered my tent useless. The tent became a glorified bivy until the sun came up. When I was packing the tent I could not get the rear pole out of its sleeves and proceeded to snap the pole and tear the fabric sleeve. Now I have no tent. Well the cold and change in eleveation must have something to do with me being unable to get the pole out. Did I let that ruin the trip? Heck no!!! I summited Mt. Whitney and hiked down and had a wonderful day. Not a crazy story by no means but I learned to roll with things better and as for Yosemite? Respect rain, and cold, it can cause you to make bad decisions.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Have fun with each new opportunity, there are incredible experiences out there

Don't forget common sense / your brain and that from fellow hikers

First Aid and safety items have (or should have) ZERO weight penalty / concern

Have an idea of what you'd do in the event of lower probability events with high consequences and their avoidance (broken bones, severe medical, nuclear events, etc) : Problems minor at home can rapidly escalate into tragic situations in the wild

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools