Topic

First time in temps below 30s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First time in temps below 30s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

I'm normally a summer guy, but going out for a few days in the Catskills soon. Expecting to be at elevations between 2000 and 3500 ft (with a short stint up to 3900 ft). Temperatures are to be expected to be in high 40s during day and low-30s to mid-20s in the night. Sleeping bag is the Army issue patrol bag rated to 30 degrees, filler in good condition.

Now, what clothing do I take to be comfy? I run somewhat on the cold side.

What I own:

150-weight merino short-sleeve top
    150-weight merino long-sleeve top
    R1-equialent top
    Ibex Shak hoody
    R2/R3-equialent top
    Montbell Eldo jacket (heavier version of the Thermawrap)
    RR Weatherpants

David Ure

@familyguy

What pad are you using? Your sleeping pad makes up at least 1/2 of your sleep system and defines all of the warmth between you and the ground. You will want something with an R-value (single pad or combined) of approximately 3.5.

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Pad is the full-length Exped SynUL (the yellow one).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you are using a military surplus patrol bag, you are going to be soooooooo cold in those temps. I used one in the mid 20's but had a fire going all night long. If I didn't have that fire going, I would not have slept that night. 30 degrees is pretty wrong, it's more like 45 for most people.
    If you are going to be wearing lots of clothing, you need be sure that you don't end up fitting too tightly into your bag. You will end up pushing up against and compressing the insulation in your bag and the tightness of your bag could compress any of your down or fluffy synthetic clothing. If that becomes an issue, you may need to unzip it and use it like a quilt to keep the effectiveness of all your insulation.

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Thanks for the heads up! I'll then take the other part of that system, the black bag – I forgot what it's rated for.

I assume ratings on those bags take into account the fact that the person sleeping would also be wearing the appropriate ECWCS garments.

David Ure

@familyguy

The pad should be fine as this is what I use in those temps and have been toasty.

Ideally having a sleeping bag with a proper EN rating is the best place to start, but assuming your bag is, in fact, has a 30 degree relative comfort rating then I would probably just bring the 150-weight merino long-sleeve top and the Eldo jacket (you would want this around camp anyway). What about some leg insulation?

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Oh, forgot… for legs I have cap2 weight tights as well as R1-like tights. Should be warm enough…

David Ure

@familyguy

Yeah – for sure. I would take the Cap2's.

My feet always get cold so I will sometimes bring ID Hot Socks. YMMV.

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

So should I bring the whole ensemble (everything I own?) or just drop either the R1-type top or the Shak?

David Ure

@familyguy

"I would probably just bring the 150-weight merino long-sleeve top and the Eldo jacket (you would want this around camp anyway)."

At least this is what I would do.

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Thank you all for feedback!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools