Topic

Pack back panel–to pad or not to pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pack back panel–to pad or not to pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

Working out the design for a pack. Lots of great information out there, but I haven't found much on padding for the back. What does everyone think of padding the back? What are the pro/cons of padding? How much does it really affect Weight? Comfort? Ventilation? Etc?
    Does it become more important when your pack weighs over so many pounds?

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

if you pack right you dont need it especially if you use a foam pad as a frame

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It depends a lot on whether the pack is intended to carry a bear canister, and if so, what size. If you drop a big cylinder like a Bear Vault 500 right down into a typical pack, that round lump is going to hit the wearer directly in the spine unless there is a serious foam pad in there. If you drop a smaller one like a Bear Vault 450, you might rotate it to put the flat surface against the back panel (axis in the line of travel), so the seriousness of the foam panel can be reduced. If you put a small one like the small Bear Boxer, it is small enough that it can be rotated away from the plane of travel, but still a small foam pad might be good.

If you get up into really huge sizes, then there is probably room inside for so many other clothing things that the foam necessity changes again. The load will be heavy enough that it might be necessary.

–B.G.–

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

the padding in my pack is multi use as a sit pad and a foot extension for my sleeping pad. I'd say if you do add it make it removable.

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

How about using padding to get some better air flow? Does it help with sweaty back syndrome?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"How about using padding to get some better air flow? Does it help with sweaty back syndrome?"

I think it will reduce air flow and make the sweaty back syndrome worse unless the padding is covered in mesh or something.

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools