Topic

Clear drying brush-on adhesive?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Clear drying brush-on adhesive?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Anyone have a recommendation for a good clear drying brush-on adhesive? I'm making some groundsheets from Tyvek and have been using good ol contact cement, which forms a great bond but dries to an off yellow color that is sometimes noticeable (especially if I'm a little sloppy).

I've gone down the spray-on route already, but it's a little too messy for my liking. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What about seam grip?

Too thick?

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

We have a clear selly's product contact adhesive. Nice thin spray but the brush on is a lot thicker. I thought everday PVA ((water clean up) wood glue) was as good as anything for tyvek?? Their product pages agree…

Marc Penansky
    BPL Member

@marcpen

Locale: Western NC

No matter what adhesive you use, just put down a piece of painters tape to border the adhesive edge and then to use it to align edge to be bonded. Remove the tape before you roll or seal the bonded edge. You will make a nice clean edge with no overspray.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks guys.

Ken I think seam grip may be on the thick side. The contact cement is sort of the same way but can be brushed out to make a thin application.

Paul, I will look for the Selly's. I have heard about PVA but will moisture/water weaken the bond once dry? How does it do with being rolled, folded, stuffed, etc? This isn't a critical application, but if I can get clear contact cement I'll probably go that way. I'm still curious about how the Elmer's will hold up though.

Marc, I have the soft Tyvek and have tried several painters tapes with it but all of them remove material when peeled off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools