Topic

Roadside protein

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Roadside protein

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

This should probably be in chaff, but I like posting it here . . . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/17/jonathan-mcgowan-roadkill_n_1016108.html

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…years ago a friend of mine was driving school buses in rural Austin, Tx. She came upon a one car accident of a huge buck that had taken out the engine of a small car. The driver, a woman, and her young baby were OK – just in shell shock and covered in glass. She was radioing in for help when two guys in separate pickups came by. Once it was assessed she was going to live and somehow had no interest in the twitching deer a fight broke out between the 2 guys on who had been there first – and who was going to take home dinner that night.

I still laugh over that one. She had to call dispatch for a state cop to break it up!!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Jeff Foxworthy's Road Kill story…

YouTube video

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Grad students supervising my senior thesis fed their families partially with roadkill (a "smorgasbord" of open highway around one of the large US 'prairie' universities only heard about during American football season); if one really needs calories, my advice is:

(a) green chile cheese enchiladas (basically stacks of cheese slice layered with corn tortillas with a sauce baked on top of it all) or a..

(b) chili rellano burrito (aka "Mexican fat bomb" – deep fried green chili with the inside de-seeded and replaced by gooey cheese) – one of those is a day's worth of calories, …. at least.

ADD: Guess calling them vegetarian fare is kind of pushing it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools