Topic

Virgaoutdoors Wraith (.51 Cuben Fiber 9×7 Tarp) first pitch and impressions….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Virgaoutdoors Wraith (.51 Cuben Fiber 9×7 Tarp) first pitch and impressions….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Worked with Josh to modify his 9 x 7 CF Wraith design based off this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52389

– I'm not a fan of bivies and wanted a tarp big enough to give me confidence in a downpour w/out a bivy.
    – I thought a bigger tarp was less weight than a smaller tarp and bivy, plus more comfortable.
    – I also wanted a bonded tarp for longevity, not sewn.
    – I wanted the versatility of using a single person MLD Bug bivy/tent when it's buggy out and then drop that weight when in colder weather. (I currently have a BearPaw Cub Den 1.5 in .51 CF with bug netting sewn into the perimeter, can't drop bug netting).
    – I wanted a flat tarp so that no rain could get in by the cat cut sides (remember, no bivy) when I pitched it straight to the ground and I also counted on the non-stretchiness of CF on keeping the pitch taut without a cat cut (more $).
    – In working w/ Josh we settled on a 9×7 design. If I were in A-frame pitch 24/7 I would of tapered the foot end, but this tarp gives me versatility to pitch in other configs and when I go into storm more and pitch all three sides/foot end to the ground, I need the extra width to give my feet some height.

Some custom options to lighten the load…

– 8 tight outs as opposed to 10, we'll see if that was smart over time. :p
    – No line locks
    – Bonded seam runs perpendicular to the ridgeline
    – No internal tieouts (will add if need be, going to try and hang bug bivy on tent poles w/ drip sticks for rain.

– The weight estimate from Josh was right on $ and he spent a good amount of time with me on the phone. The Tarp (w/out guy lines) weighs 138 grams = 4.86780675 ounces. His workmanship is incredibly precise on all seams, tie outs and bonding areas.

-For scale I've placed a large, bulky, rectangle, car-camping sleeping bag under the tarp.

– Left to do: Glue/Place a circular tieout on the ridgeline about a foot from the foot end rideline tieout to add lift for my feet when pitch in storm mode (3 sides pitched to the ground).

– In storm mode I may sleep diagonal as my footbox would be much more narrow as compared the rectangle sleeping bag in the pics, it would also give some more protection for my head as I can scooch down inside more.

qwrqe
    22w
    t3yy3
    53w
    wq
    rym
    wr
    2wtr
    35w
    iumy

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Tarp. I saw some of his postings and liked the gear he is making.

Your shelter/tarp is so light now that you can take that boss-looking car-camping sleeping bag along with you! -It sure does give a bit of perspective on how roomy it is though. You and your gear will fit nicely in there. You may need to sleep with a rain jacket over/around your head to take care of rain splash though. Enjoy.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

The "boss-looking" bag wouldn't keep more warm to 35 degrees, haha.

Yeah, either my Dri-ducks around my head if it gets bad while sleeping diagonal, or if I can get enough lift from placing the circular tieout Josh game me near the foot end about a foot in from the end of the foot end ridgeline, I might be able to stick my head down at the foot end and then use my Nylofune bag liner as a foot bivy like I current do when it gets nasty out. Of course I could lift the foot end just an inch or two off the ground and then stick my head down there.

We'll see. Can't wait to try it out!

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Can't wait for you to try it out and give a report. Have fun!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Good coverage and ultralight.

There are other pitches that I can imagine working well with that size tarp.

More room than a poncho tarp and less weight than most.

You could also get by without a bug bivy in that modified A-frame using a triangular chunk of no-see-um tied between the peak and the bottom front stakes. The no-see-um would also reduce any wind blown rain significantly, but the three close sides would have to be tight to the ground, not something you'd want to do on a warm weather night.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

"There are other pitches that I can imagine working well with that size tarp."

Do Tell, I'm listening!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Hey Bryce,

Of course you've seen Billygoat's examples.

I don't know if your's has any center panel tie-outs, they can add to your pitch options, but also increases weight.

Mixed weather?
    Variations of the flying diamond and half pyramid come to mind.
    I had a pitch where I started as a low half pyramid, but raised one corner with a trekking pole at the head so it was a more roomy flying diamond.
    If conditions require more coverage during the night, I can drop the corner back down to a low half pyramid without leaving the shelter.

A lean-to can become a low A-frame quite easily, especially if you plan for it when you do the initial pitch. Having stakes in place when you go to bed means you can stay under the tarp when you make the change.

And we've seen a few examples where people only used an A-frame pitch, blocking one or both ends with gear and/or found objects.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Flying diamond seems interesting as that's what I'd do in effect when scooching my feet to one side in storm mode and my head to the opposite side to lie diagonal.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I did three different flying diamond pitches…

#1 with the lower end pitched straight to the ground.
    Very easy entry, but I feel a bit exposed at my feet.

#2 with the lower end propped up by a stick.
    Better coverage for my feet , but my head felt a little bit exposed now.

#3 with the lower end propped up a bit less.
    Very nice coverage for my feet (supplemented by Nylofune bag over my foot end if need be for blowing rain. And little more head room, but good rain coverage for my head.

(This is why I didn't go for Cat cut, so I could do different pitches!)

The big rectangle bag really doesn't do the pitch justice anymore because I won't have corners exposed.

1q
    q1q1
    2q2qww
    24t14
    q14tr
    muy7r
    qwvb
    7kmrm
    eqvc
    vsf
    qeveqeqrv
    sCe
    ole
    rweg

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I thought for a second why I didn't do a 6 x 10 tarp to have better foot end and head end coverage when in A frame pitch and here is the reason why:

http://www.visualtrig.com/angles.aspx

Plug in 36in (that would be a 6ft wide tarp) sides and see how peaky (unstable to side wind) the pitch gets to get decent height for your tarp to crawl inside. I didn't want to have to be a contortionist just to get in/under the tarp. :o

(And of course in storm mode I can prop up the side of the tarp too much to get extra height because I don't want to carry a bivy)

Why not 7 x 10? Too much weight. hehe. :p

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I know you are counting ounces, but why not go with an old style 10 x 10 Flat tarp with mid-panel tie-outs. your pitching options are limitless, and you can pitch the sides of the diamond to the ground and have a beak in the front. It will be large enough for you, your gear and you can sit up and cook out of the elements. With the mid-panel tie-outs it can handle wind and snow loads.

Dave

P.S. I guess in my old age I am starting to prefer function and comfort over weight.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Hey Dave…I guess it's always the function vs. comfort thing. For me it's bringing a Neo Air Short vs. a GG Nightlight Sleeping Pad (Torso length). I'm a side sleeper and it doesn't do squat for me. Always fiddling though. :p

We'll see if I've gone too far at this weekend's NE BPL Meetup in Mass!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

From the NE BPL Meetup:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54971

3 sides to the ground:
    rq

3 sides to the ground:
    4eter

Flying Diamond:
    rereq

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Hey Bryce-

I'm considering building a very similar tarp to this for myself and I'm wondering how it's working out after having it a little while.

I'm looking at getting some .75 oz cuben from Lawson and given the dimensions (36"x54") the most economic size and shape would be a 9'x6' flat tarp. You've suggested that you think 6' is too narrow; I'm a pretty small guy and I'm hoping I could get by with a 6' width.

I'm also having a hard time deciding on the flat vs. cat debate. I know there is a ton of talk about this on the forums, but having never camped with a tarp I just don't know. I love the look of a really tight cat-cut pitch, I hate the look (and associated functionality) or the wrinkles. I do like the idea of versatility, but mostly the flat tarp would be cheapest.

Anybody else have suggestions about shapes given the dimensions of the yardage?

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

I wonder how it would do in half pyramid pitch. with the 9' side as the back and doorway and the 7' as the sides.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I have done the half pyramid with a 9×5. It was tight, but worked well.
    A 9×7 would definitely offer more room and/or coverage depending on the how high you pitched it.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

I think it could be pitched to the ground and you'd fit but with less usable space and more rain protection. Depending on how tall you are of course.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

flying diamond always sags when used with normal rect tarp..and thats too bad cause its pretty storm worthy if pitched low.

i would consider adding top guyout point above your head

also take a look at http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/make-an-ultralight-solo-micro-tarp.html

and http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/images/angel-wing-rear.jpg

i realize this isnt directly applicable – but maybe with slight changes and adding a couple of extra guypoints you could be able to pitch much more taut in that mode

M

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I use a half-pyramid pitch with my 5×8 siltarp, and I pitch it about six inches to eight inches off the ground.
    Mine has a guyout loop in the center. It gives more headroom.
    I find the half-mid pitch very satisfactory for a rectangular tarp. I agree that your 7×9 will give better spray protection, and I'd recommend trying a half-mid pitch. It only requires one pole, and works nicely. The half-mid is really the basic pitch that these popular shaped tarps today are based upon, but they embellish it with beaks and stuff.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Thanks everyone for the info here so far. Anybody else have photos of their small, flat tarps pitched?

Would love to see how taut a flat cuben tarp can be in various pitches. Let's see some in-the-field examples!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools