Topic

Is there new snow fall beneath 9000 ft in the Sierra?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Is there new snow fall beneath 9000 ft in the Sierra?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

We'd like to do another 2-3 day trip in the Sierra-possibly back to Emigrant Wilderness, but prefer to avoid fresh snow fall. Does anyone know whether there has been recent snow fall in the area? In general, is there a website which details this kind of information? Thanks.

rhz

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I checked the Dodge Ridge Ski Area web cam this evening and there was no snow on the ground.

Dodge Ridge is adjacent to the Emigrant and the web cam is at 8,200'.

Check it out for yourself, though…..

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I went over Sonora pass last weekend. Patchy snow on north-facing slopes above 9k. Easily bypassed up to 12k+ on Dunderberg Pk. any remaining snow was slowly melting by midday.

I vaguely recall some gates were closed to FS roads off 108. Maybe to Eagle Meadow TH? You might want to call and check on that sort of thing.

Bill

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Was northwest of Tahoe last weekend and patches of new snow were present on north-facing slopes and some shady wooded areas. A scant few inches, nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers,

Rick

Dave T

@davet

Was up in Tahoe weekend before last, and all the fairly significant snow that fell just before that weekend was pretty beat down by some warmer rain that followed and sunshine after that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Has anybody been south of Mammoth lately, like within the last few days?

I'm interested in the current trail conditions around Rock Creek.

All the ranger station could say was about Bishop Pass. They said 6-8 inches of old snow on the ground and still melting. However, it is all freezing at night.

–B.G.–

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Hey Bob,

I just did a quick 2-night shuttle from Red's Meadow to Iva Bell Hot Springs to Lost Keys Lake to Purple Lake and out to Coldwater Camp at Lake Mary(10/28-10/30). Above about 9,000', we encountered small patches of snow in the shady spots on the north-facing slopes. Above 10,000', there was a little more, but again, just limited to the shadiest of spots. We only had to hike on (old, frozen) snow descending Duck Pass down towards Barney Lake.

The area got a little dusting of snow around Tuesday or Wednesday of last week but not really enough to stick. I think most of the snow was lingering from the storm from a couple of weeks ago that dumped about 2' around Mammoth.

Daytime highs over the weekend were in the low to mid-60s. Night time lows got down to around the mid-20s.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools