Topic

Pure Spectra fabric available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pure Spectra fabric available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I discovered today that Thayercraft, a fiberclass supplier, is selling 3.3oz/yard pure Spectra 1000 fabric (roughly equivalent to Dyneema sk65) on their website and on Ebay. That weight seems about right for a pack, and I thought some of the MYOG folks might be interested. It's only $20/yard (60" wide), which is amazingly cheap for pure UHMWPE fabric, but the minimum purchase is a ten-yard roll. I don't know the details of the weave.

I'm not associated with Thayercraft, I just saw the Ebay listing.

spectra

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Hum, thats a big minimum purchase. Maybe some folks could buy a bunch and split it up. Anyone interested?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

interesting stuff, anyone have experience with it? Its gotta be pretty darn bomber… pack bottoms maybe?

Paul Sandhu

@psandhu977

Locale: Foggy left coast

Hi,

I'd be willing to go in on a buy.

I'd like about 3-5 yards or so

Paul

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I'd like some if it can be sewn. I remember a little while back someone said that spectra had to have a backing to it to be sewn. I could be wrong.

If it can be, I'd definitely take some and would give some money for a group buy.

I also doubt that it has any waterproof layer. I emailed them about a sample.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I think I'm down for about 2 yards if everythink looks okay. Yeah I remember something about sewing being tricky so it would be good to figure that out first. I was thinking a really rugged burn type pack out of this stuff would be really cool.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

Depending on the specs, I'd be in for 2-4 yards if someone sets up a group buy.

David Bolduc

@boldav47

I don't live too far away from Thayercraft so I gave them a call to see if I could stop by in person to check out the Spectra fabric some time. I was told that a visit would be fine; however, they weren't sure whether the material was suitable for sewing into outdoor equipment or if it was intended for laminatng with resin. They also mentioned that they had both 3.3 oz and 4.1 oz weight material. I'll keep the group posted of my findings.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Hey ya'll according the Ryan Jordan this might not be such a good idea. Check out his response to the thread I started on "sewing spectra." Basically a normal home sewing machine probably won't work for this stuff.

David Bolduc

@boldav47

Well I went over to Thayercraft this afternoon to look at the 3.3 oz and 4.0 oz Spectra fabric, and my initial impression was that it is intended for lamination. However, it was such nice fabric and the people there were so accomodating that I couldn't leave without a few yards to use on my next kayak building project. Below is a picture of the fabric I purchased.

Spectra 4 oz fabric

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

So are you thinking this stuff isn't great for a pack (aside from the concerns Ryan already shared)?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hmmm…that looks like the uncoated stuff which would be a disaster for a pack. It has to have the coating in order to be workable, so the fabric is stabilized, and water-resistant.

David Bolduc

@boldav47

If you look at the Spectra I got and the material that Dan Mchale uses on his packs, you will see they are not the same. The Spectra I have is a much coarser weave and it will probably be good for reinforcing a boat when set in epoxy. So the short answer is that it might not be the right material for protecting the bottom of a pack. However, if you are looking for some hard to find Spectra fabric for lamination, this could be a good deal. Anyway, before spending any money why don't you just have Thayercraft send you a sample.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Ryan thanks for the help. That would have been a disaster to have $200 worth of useless fabric split up among us.
    David, thanks for the sample info. Sounds like I'll pass on it right now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools