Topic

Instructions for making rain mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Instructions for making rain mitts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Anyone know where I might be able to find instructions on making rain mitts? Thanks,

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

You can use this from thru-hiker:

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/mitten_pattern.php

Just use waterproof material and modify the cuffs, if desired.

Please show pics!

David Ure

@familyguy

Awesome – thanks Todd!

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

So I actually did a first pass using the thru hiker plans with silnylon earlier this week (bad result). In the process I noted that the thumb lengths on the palm and thumb pieces aren't the same. This doesn't seem right but I could be missing something.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

David, Here's a link to some mitts I've had success with. Mitt Pattern

Hope this helps

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I've tried that thru-hiker pattern before. The main problem with it is that it is made for fabric that stretches, and while we know sil does stretch, it is the wrong kind of stretch. So when you use them, the thumb doesn't articulate well enough.

Lance, that pattern looks great though. I've been looking for something that had a thumb that was separate from the rest of the mitt like that for a while, and your pattern looks perfect. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I've tried that thru-hiker pattern before. The main problem with it is that it is made for fabric that stretches

True, but I had good success measuring the length and circumference of parts of my hand and adapting the pattern to those measurements.

Or … Quest Outfitters sells a nice glove/mitt pattern for $5.95 plus shipping and handling.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

+1 on the quest pattern. It comes as a full size pattern S-M-L. I modified it a bit and made an entre arctic glove system.

nested gloves

enjoy,

Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools