Topic

I don’t know how to wear a vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I don’t know how to wear a vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

In the winter I use a wool base, a light wool shirt, a fleece and a windproof. If that's not warm enough I use a fat down vest under the fleece. If I were to wear a sleeved parka with all those layers my arms would be bound up and too warm. Good to about 10f – below that I throw a light cotton anorak over the top of everything.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

A lightweight down vest (3.88oz MB EX Light Down vest, size large in my case) and down sleeves (4.8oz Jacks R Better 900FP down sleeves, size long in my case) add versatility vs. a down sweater.

Of course a down jacket of similar fill weight will weight less than down vest and sleeves, but vest/sleeves is more versatile. I can wear just the vest to address a slight chill, or the vest and the sleeves to equal the warmth of a down sweater.

Where I actually save weight in my full gear list is that the sleeves are a multi use item.

From this thread:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54253

"The awesome part of this setup is the versatility. The down sleeves can be worn at night to supplement the vest or my JRB wearable quilt around camp and then while sleeping they go on my perpetually cold feet as that is what gets cold for me first (They replace 700FP North Face down booties in colder months) They slide up to the bottom of my knees keeping not only my feet but my entire lower legs warm for less weight."

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

IMO, the only vests that make sense are the thin ones like the Montbell Ex-light and WM Flash Vest. These vests are a great stand alone insulation piece for summer use. I use an Ex-light vest in the warmer months, and then I switch to a thicker down parka (MB Alpine Light) for the shoulder seasons. I was using a MB UL Down Inner Parka for all 3 seasons with the addition of a First Ascent Downlight Vest on cold trips, but that combo weighed just as much as a MB Alpine Light on cold trips, and the UL Down Inner Parka was way heavier (over double) than an Ex-light vest in the warmer months.

I agree those thick vests don't really make that much sense because you'd also want insulation for your arms too if temps are that cool. One possible use of these vests is as a layering piece under/over a thinner down jacket. This works, but it's probably not as light or simple as just using a warmer jacket.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I really like the add a sleeve idea. I think the JRBs weigh less than my current booties.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think Richard Nisely had some information on vests showing them to be more effective than sleeved jackets for the weight.

Vest work great in a layering scheme with a long sleeve base layer or mid layer, windshirts or rain shells. In a typical 3-season hike I'm experiencing 40F-50F wet weather. My in-camp layering would be something like this:

Beanie
    Light gloves
    Soft shell pants or rain shell pants with silkweight long johns
    Long sleeve base layer
    Vest
    Rain shell or windshirt

Colder: add Power Stretch hoodie mid-layer

I have a Power Stretch vest and a Patagonia Micro Puff. The Power Stretch is about 8oz and makes a great extra bit of insulation for summer day hikes and works great under a windshirt or rain shell. The Micro Puff is more serious stuff and with something like a Power Stretch hoodie, I really don't need any more insulation for most 3-season hikes. With the scheme above, insulated sleeves really wouldn't add much for core insulation or even general comfort. You can carry a higher loft vest for the same weight as a thinner sleeved jacket.

For sub-freezing weather I would make the jump to a sleeved jacket with a hood and I can still add a vest to that mix.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I'm with Dale on the importance of the core.

I have a kayaking partner that always suffered from cold hands and feet and no mater how thick the neoprene boots and gloves, they would get cold.

This was until he started wearing a warm hat and extra layers on his core.

There have been lots of studies on this.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Vests only do me any good in the front country. If it's cold enough for me to need an insulation layer, I'm too lean to not have it cover at least my upper arms in addition to my core.

Note: I do not hike in insulation. I have a hard enough time not overheating in thin wool layers when moving.

Daniel Smith

@scissor

I find I am the opposite. Full insulated jackets are not functional for me because I am always active in them and find them too hot (and bulky/heavy). So my go to for winter backpacking is a non insulated hard shell, down vest for the downtimes, and a warm baselayer.

R S

@rps76

The only "vest" I ever wear is my converted R1 "vest". I cut the sleeves off of a R1 pullover I have. It's from a few years ago when the sizing was a little off with the pullovers (it's a size medium but fits with room over a this years R1 Hoody and merino base layer).

As most have stated, keep your core warm, your arms stay warm. I usually use it for skiing.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

picture it: your cooking, you go to grab your pot and "poof"! your down jacket catches fire!

anyway, the reasons have been answered. I got an R1 vest during patagonia's sale, I figured it would be nice just to have even if I don't use it for backpacking.

that said, I've so far found it useful in almost cold temps where just the extra insulation in my core is enough to keep the rest of my body happy. I think it will also be nice to run in in the winter since it gives my arms better movement and I generally don't get too cold since I'm producing so much heat, but the vest should help me use that heat a little more efficiently in keeping my appendages warm.

I'll have to see how it fits into my winter clothing plan, it may make more sense than wearing a full fleece if I find the New England winter temps are not low enough to need the full upper body coverage.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have Montbell synthetic vest with their proprietary version of primaloft. The reason I like it is because on cold day I can wear the vest and uninsulated wind shirt. When I am backpacking I sweat lot more and over heat in my arm pits and arms area sweat more than my torso area. I like to keep dry so I don't have to deal with a wind chill cold from damp skin, as other have stated warm torso warm arms.

Other proof is I can go body surfing with just a wet suit vest and just my head sticking up out of the water when the water is still in the low 60's in the early spring I still am warm. But put me on a body board or surfboard I get cold because of the wind chill factor because my whole body is floating out of the water then you need a full wet suit to combat the wind chill.

But you have to remember everybody has different comfort range in cold semi cold weather ,like most women get cold faster. So try a vest if it work for you then use it or get a jackets with zip off sleeves and you have the best of both worlds.
    Terry

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

"My in-camp layering would be something like this:"

Dale, we could exchange clothing and still have the same exact outfits. LOL. Or, as any Richard N disciple might say, paraphrasing Patton, "Nisely, you magnificent b*stard, I read your posts!"

The only differences might be brands. I've got Rothco polypro long johns, shorts & s/s shirt, an older cashmere turtle neck sweater w/ half-zip, an MB alpine light vest & a Patagucci Torrentshell pullover.

Since I make most of MYOG, I bought some wool felt and made myself a nice, long pull-down beanie. To round out my ensemble, I've got some basic, el cheapo poly gloves.

As anyone who read/understood/follows RN's advice, this layering strategy can deal with a huge temperature range for any of the big 3 activities: sleeping, chores & hiking.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools