Topic

MLD Solo Mid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Solo Mid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

But no good pictures of extenders in use to see how they work.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here's another cheap and easy to get possibility:

Below are old Swiffer pole sections. The sections attach with plastic "button" tabs like on many extendable poles and the plastic tabs are easy to remove. You are left with pole sections that have pre-drilled holes at the top and bottom, each section is 1.2 oz.

I think it would be easy to rig a connector between the sections out of grosgrain ribbon or guyline.

MYOG Pole Extender

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Miguel what's the length on the extenders? Also what is the purpose of the sleeves and cord on the bottom?

Each pole section is 30cm/12" long.

The sleeves are to hold the ends of the trekking pole handles, and the cord is to set the distance the trekking poles are extended. The cord is adjustable. Not sure the sleeves and cord are necessary, but will give it a try. You can see how this works in the photos lower on the page I linked to.

David Ure

@familyguy

The connectors aren't required.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

The connectors aren't required.

Probably not, but Jotaro Yoshida, who is the owner and designer of Locus Gear, is extremely meticulous in what he adds to his designs. There is a reason for everything he does, and everything he offers is designed with extreme lightweight in mind. I'll ask him why he added the sleeves and cord.

David Ure

@familyguy

My point for those MYOG types was that the connect is not required to keep the poles in place. That's all.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

just to add- in my experience 18" is needed for extenders for the Duomid for an inverted V, I had two 12" pole jacks from Ron and they were too short- it's possible my poles (BD Carbon Cork) are shorter than other poles, but even just slightly past full extension w/ the 12" pole jacks was not long enough- purchased some thin wall aluminum and cut them to 18", which I found to be just right

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This thread shows my duomid set up with pole extenders. The first shot shows it set up normally with pole extenders, and rest show it pretty opened up so you can really see the pole extenders. The front extender is my Lowe's special, the back extender is a carbon extender made by GG specifically for the LT4 poles. I had a beta, unfortunately they never made them to sell.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for directing to pics of extenders being used Doug.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Ok…so in all the comparisons, and being used to my Hubba fly, the Solo Mid is larger that the Hubba fly, and while it is nice to have more space for the money, I don't need much space when camping. I just need shelter. My gear is minimal and this would be mostly for 2-3 days tops. That said, I will try out the Solo Silnylon. Most likely yellow 'cuz the brown would look like poooooop and grey is, well, grey.

David Ure

@familyguy

"the Solo Mid is larger that the Hubba fly"

Mmmm….not pitched. The SoloMid is shorter and the width is narrower.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

hmmm….maybe my math is off, but the hubba has ~26 sq ft vs 30 sq ft. I figured in the vestible space on the Hubba…just going by the MSR website. Rats…now ya did it to me!

David Eitemiller
    BPL Member

@davide

Anyone tried setting up the MLD Solomid with the 120 cm version of these fixed length poles? Did the stiffness suffice and do you need a custom cut length extender?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools