Topic

Lost Contax T3 – suggestions for new camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Lost Contax T3 – suggestions for new camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"If you can wait a few weeks and have the money, I'd hold out for some reviews for the Fuji X10. Looks gorgeous, and with an MSRP of $600, I'd expect it to be possible to get it for $500 or less by Christmas, if your wife is looking for gift ideas."

I'm going to Japan next week so can do some duty-free shopping before I go. I'd decided on the X10 but then a salesman suggested the Canon G1X because of the bigger sensor. That sounded good so I got one out of the case and handled it. It was … blah. A black plastic camera with lumpy bits. The X10 looks better, I love twisting the lens to turn it on and it's smaller than the G1X and I like the retro style and similarity to my Contax T3.

I checked prices here and in Japan (keeping in mind that "duty free" now means claiming under the Tourist Refund Scheme when you leave the country). Surprisingly here was cheaper (unless I was willing to subscribe in Japan to NTT's internet service, for which they would sell me an X10 at half-price. Since I don't need an internet connection in Japan that's not an option).

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

"Yeah with the current En-daka about the only bargains to be had in Japan are with the Nikon 1 system kits."

To be fair, the Yen hasn't gone up much against the Aussie dollar – the two currencies have risen in tandem against the other currencies. The A$ is now worth more than the US$, has pretty much doubled in value against the pound and euro and is almost on parity with the Swiss franc but is roughly in the mid-range of where it's sat against the yen over the last 20 years.

Re the X10: thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice etc.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Given the unresolved problem with the X10, I'd hold off purchasing one until Fuji fixes it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Fujifil-X10-X-S1-white-disc-cause-and-fixes

Agree about the G1X, which seems to be a camera strictly aimed at vacuuming the wallets of Canon fans while Canon dithers on releasing a mirrorless system. At least they now have the system sensor.

Cheers,

Rick

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have to agree with Rick.

There are P&S for the masses, there are semi-pros for the more serious photogs, there are the latest very expensive 'fancy-thats' for the affluent yuppies, and there are some very-high-res pro cameras (which weigh a ton with all their glass and cost a fortune) for the very few photogs who make a living from it.

Yes, there will still be more 'developments', like the multi-focus thing, but they are mostly wierd products looking for a customer.

Low-light low-noise – ah yes! Some room to go there. An increase in sensor size – yes, but that makes the glass heavier.

Me, I am still very happy with my Canon G11. In a fast-access holster on my pack.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Me, I am still very happy with my Canon G11. In a fast-access holster on my pack."

Roger, you may be a wildlife shooter. Have you been trying to snap those drop bears?

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Have you been trying to snap those drop bears?
    Yeah, but they have this aura around them which always fuzzes the photo. One day…

The holster lets me take photos without stopping – get some good ones like that, including other animals.

Cheers

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Edited

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools