Topic

Froggtoggs Driducks breathable enough to hike in? Also, how waterproof are they?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Froggtoggs Driducks breathable enough to hike in? Also, how waterproof are they?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I know this has been covered here in the past but I didn't see it via the search.

Also, do the shoulder straps on the backpack wear at the jackets flimsy material?

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I did another search, with more time and being less tired. I see that they are reportedly very breathable. However, despite seeing another inquiry, I have yet to run across any mention of their durability at the point where the pack makes contact with the jacket, primarily at the shoulder straps and waist.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Some people love the driducks. I tried them once. Breathable? Yes. Cheap? Yes. Light? Yes. Durable? Not at all. The one time I used them, the zipper busted on the jacket within an hour of use. Also got some tears easy, and they melted when I got at all close to the campfire. YMMV, as I said some folks love them. I had a terrible experience.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

i don't think abrasion from pack straps would harm them however fear brush and fire with a passion i use a set of pants made out of tyvec 1443 very breathable and more durable " still not very durable though" my pants weigh 2 ounces the material is 1.1 ounce per square yard and about 4$ on amazon

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Tyvek 1443 is a brilliant fabric for rain pants.

It's very breathable, and way more durable than you think. I hacked together a pair and bushwhacked in them pretty hard. I was totally impressed.

Where are the cottage manufacturers when you need them? :D

T1443 pants would be far more useful than DriDucks, Frogg Toggs, and Cuben Fiber and Silnylon pants / chaps / skirts.

Oh, and yes, Frogg Toggs/Driducks are among the most breathable things out there, and just fine to hike in. Same w/Tyvek 1443.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

oo there coming ;) alter ego has them in the works should be out next spring for about 15$ along with lots of other goodies

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I have used O2 and Driducks. They are similar but not the exactly the same. I tend to reach for the O2 for whatever reason -maybe they are a bit more breathable -maybe I secretly admire that Big Bird look. After a number of trips, the O2 is discolored from pack strap wear but no holes. They do have little unexplained tears and holes here and there though. I have a spare set ready to go if and when the current set gets too bad.

I feel the breath-ability is good enough to forgo the windshirt and just use the O2. Too sweaty? unzip it. This winter I think I will try using the bottoms all the time with some neoprene cuffs (get at fly shop) to serve as gaiters and to keep the baggy bottoms under control. Depends on what you are doing- I wouldn't want to count on them in a mission critical application though!

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

oo there coming ;) alter ego has them in the works should be out next spring for about 15$ along with lots of other goodies

PM me if you need a beta tester – rumor has it things get a little wet up here in the Pac NW for the next few months :)

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

pm sent

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

William, Count me in if you need a "big-n-tall" tester. Will my Oregonian webbed feet fit through the leg openings?

M

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Driducks have been a mixed bag for me. They're pretty breathable, pretty waterproof, and nice and light, but the zipper failed the first time I wore them, and I got tears from brushing up against pine boughs — pine boughs mind you, not rough brush.

The Tyvek sounds like a brilliant idea.

HJ

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

@William

I can't wait to see what you come up with. Any plans on a tyvek top too? I was searching for a tyvek poncho earlier and found one site that used to sell them, but it seems they don't exist anymore. Maybe that's a bad sign… Regardless, I still like the idea of a poncho that I can use as a groundsheet inside of my Hexamid.

Anonymous
    Inactive

the 1443 are great and more durable than Dri-Ducks in my experience. O2 Rainshield is very durable and my favorite in the cheap class of rain gear.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

of course Eugene i cant make a top without a bottom ;)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools