Topic

Al Heat exchanger + Ti Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Al Heat exchanger + Ti Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    timothy grech

@1paradox

I'm working on a way to add a jet-boil like Aluminium heat exchanger to my .9l evernew/rei titanium nonstick pot.

Thinking thermaly conductive epoxy.

Any suggestions / experience in this area?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I don't know the details of the evernew nonstick Ti pots. I assume it has a teflon coating. If it does, this is a major handicap to attaching a useful heat exchanger.

While some expoxies are more thermally conductive than others, you may have discovered that none of them approach the conductivity of metals (even low conductivity metals like Ti). A heat exchanger attached with epoxy won't make a significant difference in your fuel consumption or boiling time. The epoxy just isn't conductive enough. The exchanger will weigh far more than any fuel you'll save.

The teflon coating is a problem because you can't use a high temperature process to attach the heat exchanger. Silver solder would be ideal because, done right, it can give a strong bond between dissimilar metals, it retains that bond strength at high enough temperatures, and it has a very high thermal conductivity (probably more than 100x that of epoxy). But, the heat of soldering/brazing will ruin the nonstick coating on the inside of the pot.

If you really want to attempt a DIY heat exchanger pot, I would choose another pot and try soldering/brazing.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Aluminium onto titanium? Without damaging a Teflon coating?
    Good Luck. To the best of my knowledge, not possible.

The thermally conductive epoxies are not that good and most of them don't like boiling water tmeperature anyhow. They go soft.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools