Topic

$1,000 hike in the Placerville/South Tahoe area?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning $1,000 hike in the Placerville/South Tahoe area?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eli .

@feileung

I did a quick overnight to Smith Lake (from Wright's) last weekend and ended up leaving my car behind w/a failing clutch. I'm out ~$1,000 all told (rental car + clutch).

I'll be driving to Placerville in the morning to pick up the car. I plan to leave SF at ~6:00 am and arrive in Placerville by 9:00. I should be ready to hike by around 10:00.

I'm looking for a hike that'll help me forget the pain of auto repair! I'd prefer long and/or difficult (physically, I'm not a rock climber) with great scenery. I'm also open to an overnight if the ideal day hike would require an earlier start than 10:00 or so.

Lake Aloha looks interesting but I don't know the area well. Any other suggestions?

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

What is your planned trailhead for Aloha? Echo Lakes T.H. to Aloha is not at all difficult (1500' gain, 700' loss, One-Way). Mt. Tallac via Tallac T.H. is more difficult. If you wanted even more miles you could go to Mt. Tallac via Glen Alpine T.H > Gilmore Lake > Mt. Tallac.

EDIT: I'm not sure how much snow Mt. Tallac received in the last two days of storms but I can see that Mt. Rose received a good dose.

Eli .

@feileung

I don't really have a plan yet. I'm trying to squeeze figure some options out while working. I'll work out the details when I get home re: what seems realistic, etc.

Thanks for the info Eric.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Here's my recent trip report to Aloha via Echo Lakes T.H.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Jim and, uh, ouch. If you'd like to test your clutch against Wright's Lake road again, you could go over Rockbound Pass and head for any number of lakes in the area. The only hitch is there's probably a foot or two feet of new snow that won't be melted off.

Another option is going into the Rubicon River valley from Loon Lake. You'd start lower and climb gradually northward.

Good luck!

Rick

Eli .

@feileung

Plans changed a bit. My GF ended up coming along and we took a nice hike out of the Echo Lake TH to near Tamarack Lake. I left my hiking shoes at home (whoops) and ended up walking in old canvas vans w/holes in the sole (and plastic bags under my socks). The trail was a mix of dry, slushy and snowy. My feet were soaked but the day was warm and sunny.

Echo Lake

Echo2

I'm looking forward to exploring the area more thoroughly in spring.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Great pics!
    I have hiked sooo many miles in old canvas vans. They have always worked fine for me, but they are about as waterproof as a sponge.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've hit Desolation since the mid '70's.

August of 2010, I drove the old '92 Yota pu, 200,000+ miles on it, back to WY Wind River Range, on the way home, stopped at the Post Office to get my mail and the gear shift did not want to stay in gear. I had to hold it in gear in the lower gears. A mile from home. Made it home and to work out of town in NV, a two hour drive and got parts for a little over $20, fixed the same afternoon I got the parts.
    Duane

Eli .

@feileung

I wish I'd had the skills/time to make that repair $20.00 >.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools