Topic

Binding Tarp Edges With Grosgrain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Binding Tarp Edges With Grosgrain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    James Cavan

@jamescavan

Locale: UK

I'm going to make a tarp at some point in the near future so have been looking around at other peoples work.

Anyway I've several examples I've come across have used grosgrain along the edges of the tarp.

One such example is a guy over at Bike and Bivy who has posted here.
    http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk/php/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=181
    That particular tarp was spinnker so the edge binding may have been used to avoid stress at the stitching?

He also uses it for a silnylon tarp.
    http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk/php/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=239

The OES tarps also use edge binding. Is there a particularly good reason to do this instead of a rolled hem or similar appropriate seam.

If your thinking .. but what is your tarp going to be like well read on!

Essentially a 8.5' x 5.5' with fairly shallow cat cuts along the shorter edges and 2 on each of the long sides.A tarp

I've been using a duomid for a while now and want to move to a proper tarp!

So is there any good reason whether or not to bind the edges with grosgrain?

Thanks very much, James

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I can't think of a good reason to do it. Seems heavy and unnecessarily complicated compared to a simple rolled seam.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

No reason to add grosgrain

Heavier, costs more, takes more time, doesn't add any benefit.

Just hem edges – folder over twice and sew one row of stitches.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

The only benefit I've seen is appearance – it looks cool but definitely not needed.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I don't use it on the tarps I've made and they are no worse for wear. I do sew a few inches of it on the edge at the tie-outs for reinforcement.

You would have to use 3/4" grossgain which weighs 1-1/3 grams per foot. So, that would add about 1.4 ounces to your tarp.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

By and large, it is just excess weight. A rolled hem (3 layers) maybe 10 mm wide is quite enough for most tarps and tents. Extra reinforcing at corners is good/desirable to handle the high stress of the attachment point.

Cheers

Philip Carr

@unsponsored

Full width of material can be used. Rolling three times for a hem will really shorten the fabric. Especially if making a tarp using the using the rolls width rather than going fabrics.

I also find it much faster as my sewing machine has a nice little attachment. It works great on cat cuts as well.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Philip, Could you elaborate a bit. Could not figure out how you are finishing the edges. Thanks.

James Cavan

@jamescavan

Thanks for the reply's, how does the grosgrain stretch when wet compared to silnylon? As we all know when silnylon gets wet it sags so obviously needs to be tightened – or does the cat cut solve that problem?

Ta

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Philip,

Inspired by your post I googled and found that I can get a binding attachment for my bernina.

So what type and size of binding do you use? Can you buy it by the roll or do you cut your own?

Daryl

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools