Topic

Suggestions for ice axe protector?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Suggestions for ice axe protector?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

For designs on what not to do, look at the reviews for the ones at REI. either a defect that does not cover the sharp points, or a rubberized one that falls apart in 4 months.

right now, I just wrap the sharp edges with a cloth rag. gotta be a better idea.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Pieces of an old mountain bike tire held together with duct tape.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

When packing an axe in my luggage to travel, I use chunks of expanded polythene foam for both spike and head. I've carved a custom-fitted slot for the head, and simply cut out a recess for the spike end.

EPE foam salvaged from packaging. Light, free, pretty robust.

I don't generally use protectors when the axe is strapped to my pack.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Made two short sleeves out of ≈ 1" webbing (for pick & spike); these can be fastened to the pack when needed (depending on whether the trip requires an ice axe or not).

Don’t have pictures here (in the office), but could make (and post) these tomorrow — if there is an interest.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

i used two duct tape "envelopes" with a hair tie looped through for tension. easy on/off, cheap, held up.

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

@Henk Smees (theflyingdutchman)
    Thank you for offering to post photos of the webbing setup– There is interest.

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

@Ozzy McKinney (PorcupinePhobia)
    I'm guessing the duct tape envelope is double sided with the sticky side on the inside? did you hole punch for the hair tie?
    thank you for posting.

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

@Kevin Beeden (captain_paranoia)
    Thank you for the this foam idea, I wonder if I can convert the flotation swimming pool noodle into a sheath.. fun experiment.

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

@ David Chenault (DaveC)
    Thank you for the reply. I don't have an old bike tire around, but I live near a few bike shops, I will ask them for a free donation :)

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

the envelopes are just pockets made of duct tape folded over on itself on 3 sides, so no sticky sides are exposed on any face (if that is what you were asking). just poked a hole for the hairtie with a knife.

for what its worth, used ducttape for crampon point protecters and anti-ball plates as well. the antiball plates weigh nothing and worked way better than other folks storebought ones on a week long expedition last year :D

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Rodney,

Here are a few pictures of my way to protect the ice-axe (apologize for the poor quality). How to attach these (one for the head and one for the spike) depends on your pack. My previous one (store-bought) for which this set-up was initially made, has two straps coming down from the lid and another two straps going under the bottom. Once you see the pics, you’ll get the idea of how I did it. Every pack is different, so you’ll have to figure out how to attach the protectors to yours.

1a. Protector of the head. Forget about the strap going down (with triangle D-ring) – at the moment I’m using an MYOG pack and this strap is part of same. The strap going up (on a normal pack, this could be much shorter) is fixed to de bottom strap of my pack with a triglide.
    1a. Head protector

1b. Detail.
    1b. Head protector

1c. Detail (other side). Pay attention to how the strap is winded around the adze and fixed with a trident buckle. The advantage: I can reach backwards with my hand to undo the buckle and grab my ice axe without having to take my pack of.
    1c. Head protector

1d. Detail. Once again; forget about the strap with de D-ring going down.
    1d. Head protector

2a. Protector of the spike. The “buckle” on the left (don’t know the name) is used to fix the protector to one of the strap coming down from the lid of the pack.
    2a. Spike protector

2b. Close-up of spike-protector.
    2b. Spike protector

2c. Same without ice axe.
    2c. Spike protector

2d. Close-up of fixing buckle (strap coming down from lid is going through this one).
    2d. Spike protector

2e. Same; seen from the other side.
    2e. Spike protector

2f. Complete spike protector.
    2f. Spike protector

2g. Close-up of bottom part of spike protector without ice axe.
    2g. Spike protector

Hope this is clear; if not, just ask.

Henk (TFD)
    Aka. The Flying Dutchman

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Thanks for the photos. This gives me a few good ideas. I like the buckle clip. convenience makes sense.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Duck tape, card board from a cereal box, and a piece of cord. The hair tie is a good idea. If you lose it, which you will, you can make a new one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools