Topic

Chlorine Dixode pills?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Chlorine Dixode pills?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Ferry
    BPL Member

@thecook

I don't get out solo enough to make AM drops cost effective; I'd end up buying new bottles for one trip and have them go bad before the next time I needed them so I use the pills. That means I either end up carrying two liters of water, or skip refilling and risk running out. Is there a health concern using a pill for a pint of water? That way I could carry two pint bottles instead of a quart and refill more easily.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

My understanding is that Aqua Mira has a 4 year shelf-life (even opened)…

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've heard that storing AM liquid in the refrigerator extends the shelf life even more, but I don't know how much more.

Sadly, I just discovered the ClO2 pills I was using were out of date, about $70 worth of them. I tried to get AM to commit on storage life under ideal conditions (moderate temperatures and humidity, no package damage, etc.) but they wouldn't budge beyond the package date. The pills still fizzed when put in water. It broke my penny-pinching heart, but I threw them all out.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

How long had you had them?

Tom Ferry
    BPL Member

@thecook

Really? 4 years would be great. I thought I had heard the life was 3 months once opened. That is so short that I never looked hard at the packaging to confirm.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Michael: the expiration date was 12/09, and the company said that is four or five years after the date of manufacture.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools