Topic

UL 15-inch saw: the “Little Buck” – about 4 oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals UL 15-inch saw: the “Little Buck” – about 4 oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

With winter coming, It's time for the official unveiling of my latest creation, the "Little Buck" Saw. Like my trowels, the Little Buck is amazingly light, weighing just over 4 ounces, including its 15-inch saw blade. This makes it less than half the weight of any other 15 inch saw commercially available, including bow saws, pruning saws, Sawvivor saws, and Sven saws. Most of these weigh at least a half pound more.

You may seldom use a saw, depending on where and when you backpack, and your own preferences. I use my own Little Buck for trail clearing and related trail maintenance and to cut firewood in the winter (when fires are permitted and there’s an existing fire ring). I really like that it can collapse down to a small bundle wrapped in a bandana, and get tucked into my pack side pocket just in case I need it.

Details: It uses three custom aluminum alloy tubes for the structural members, a very high quality Swedish steel saw blade, and 3.5 feet of non-stretch Spectra cord for the tightening windlass (so that after assembly it does not loosen as you use it). It breaks down into a 15 by 2 inch bundle, assembles in less than a minute, and has no stray parts to lose. The saw blade design I’ve chosen works well for both green and dry wood.

The Little Buck is $49, including shipping in the USA. PayPal preferred to robkelly54 at gmail dot com. I have enough materials to make twelve, then we'll see after that.

If you live outside the USA, add an additional $4 for international shipping. I will ship in a sturdy tube and include an illustrated “owners manual”. You know you WANT it ; )

LB2

SPECIAL OFFER UNTIL THE END OF OCTOBER 2011:
    Any past or present trowel purchase gives you 10% off
    ($5) the price of my newest creation, the "Little Buck" saw:
    15" blade, about 4 oz! How sweet is that! Can you dig it?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

That is an amazing weight for a saw!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Six saws of twelve in the first batch are gone or spoken for, but six more are available. The picture shows the typical weight of the saw and the way it forms a small bundle. I use a bandana to roll it up and keep the blade from catching on things. This works well.

littlebuck2

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Four are left. Don't YOU be left without the lightest 15" bucksaw on the planet!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Three saws left.
    Get one, and no one will be able to say
    "you just can't cut it" (and be correct) ; )

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

SPECIAL OFFER UNTIL THE END OF OCTOBER 2011:
    Any past or present trowel purchase gives you 10% off
    ($5) the price of my newest creation, the "Little Buck" saw:
    15" blade, about 4 oz! How sweet is that! Can you dig it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools