Topic

Man fearing bear attack shoots friend by mistake while camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Man fearing bear attack shoots friend by mistake while camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

It's black bear season at Cowichan Lake so spotting a bruin is not uncommon, especially in the bush. However, on Sept. 24, a young man out camping made a big mistake, according to Lake Cowichan RCMP.

At approximately 5 a.m., two 22 year-old males were camping in a tent near the Nitinat River when one of the males was woken up by what he believed was a black bear trying to gain entry to the tent.

According to Const. Roger Nyberg, "One of the males grabbed a firearm and discharged several rounds out through the tent in the direction he believed the bear to be. As a result of the rounds being fired inside the tent he shot the other 22-year-old male once in the face and once in the arm causing extensive injuries."

The injured man was driven to Youbou where they met up with the BC Ambulance Service who transported him to Cowichan District Hospital and then on to Victoria General Hospital.

Police said the extent of his injuries was unknown Tuesday morning.

The Lake Cowichan RCMP, along with the British Columbia Conservation Service, are continuing to investigate the incident.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/fearing+bear+attack+shoots+friend+mistake+while+camping+Vancouver+Island/5470679/story.html

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

He is only 22. After a few decades of firing shots off randomly towards noises in the dark he will have the experience needed to draw his weapon and use it appropriately. This is just part of the practice, practice, practice that is needed to gain experience.

Try not to step on any twigs when backpacking after dark near people who have guns, but are still practicing to get the experience needed to be safe with them.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Good judgement comes from experience,
    Experience comes from poor judgement.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I have only needed ten years to improve "double-tapping my Glock into the night at nothing in particular." I attest this to my being an American.

As for a bear attack, I'd never shoot at one. I'd just toss them a pumpkin.

The Duke

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Is it just me, or do I sense irony just dripping from the page?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I sense an upcoming "Darwin Award".

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

But the guy who was shot was BARE and had just cut a deal with these eastern euro backpackers in the next camp…

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Miguel, I'm totally with you on the irony thing.

I need to remind myself- never go hiking with someone who's packing- or just learn how to hold it when nature comes a calling.

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

Maybe it was a bear he heard. Maybe it was coming for them. Perhaps if he hadn't issued a warning shot into his friend's face and arm, the bear would've mauled them both to death. Quick thinking on the part of this young man.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

as it was relayed to me:

A small group of guys were guys were backpacking. One of the group was sleeping under his tarp, and woke up to the sound of something walking near him. His heart started racing…BEAR.. had to be, it sounded huge. Next he heard it getting closer, he laid absolutely still pretending to be asleep. It came closer and was sniffing him, right in his ear. He was terrified.

He came up with a plan. He was going to throw his arm out and hit the bear in the nose, then get up and run before it could get him. He finally worked up the courage, and did it, and jumped up and ran screaming.

Another member of the group happened to also be awake at that time. He later recounted the story by saying "I never saw a racoon fly that far before"

The moral is that sometimes fear gets out of control and really clouds judgement.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Guess everyone needs pee bottles to avoid a shoot-'em up when the inevitable twig snaps at night. Hope everyone's aim is true..

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Likewise, it was just as probable that the kid had a case of a quick trigger finger, adrenaline overload, and darkness obscuring his vision.

Quick thinking? Maybe, but doubtful. I'm more curious to know if he explored his other available options. How about a simple yell, clap of the hands, banging of the pot, toot of a bear whistle? We are talking black bear and not grizzly right?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i believe the golden rule is that you dont shoot what you cant see … or thats what the people i know who shoot say …

if you dont know where yr bullet will end up … it can end up in someone

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Good to see the antigun nuts are staying classy.

You guys are an embarrassment. I hope ya'll are real proud of yourselves, mocking a tragedy.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

when you start shooting yr gun in the middle of the night without being able to see yr target … because yr afraid there might be a fuzzy wuzzy … and you know there are other people around …

i hope all the gun fans wont say critics of said action are anti-gun …

and i would hope that no responsible gun owner would support said blind shooting

i have no real problem with guns … unless they are used in such a fashion … same as i have no real problem with a car … unless you run over people with em

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Thats the way. Distract by trying to turn it on "gun fans".

Forget that the first reply was one of the usual suspects mocking a tragedy. I'm sure the guy who shot his friend is laughing. The man shot in the face appreciates the irony. Keep it up boys.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I can't believe I am saying this but, Michael what in Eric's last post do you disagree with?

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Op was good. We all should be reminded of reasons to be responsible.

Second post by him was spot on.

The LAST. Don't disagree with the main point. But nobody has suggested gun owners – responsible or otherwise – would support the blind firing of a gun.

I don't know why that should be brought up at all. I think every one here agrees mistakes were made. The point is don't try to turn this into gun owners versus anti gun nuts. The anti gun segment is showing their true personality with their snide mockery.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Scared people making mistakes with guns are not a tragedies, it is the reality.

Shooting a gun into the dark at noises and hitting an unintentional target is not a tragedy.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

And that huge load of irony is just sitting there…

Just glad he did not kill him.

Unlike that other guy last week.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Keep it up classless clown.

Is the other person getting shot in the FACE just reality too? Yeah you probably think he deserves it since he was hunting too.

Edit: maybe not hunting? But with a guy with gun!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Adults make decisions and deal with the consequences.

Don't be around scared people carrying guns if you aren't willing to get shot.

The important thing is that the gun worked as bear deterrent. Nobody got mauled by the bear, so it could have ended up much worse. At least they were safe and protected from the bears.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

1. An event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

Looks like in addition to being an &$$ you are just plain wrong cameron.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Name calling now!?! That's enough. Let this thread end.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Sorry Ken. When somebody is openly a complete jerk when a tragic event occurs, I feel obliged to call them on it. Calling Cameron what he obviously is, well that is the pretty nice compared to the result he would get by in person if he shared his humor.

I have no problem continuing this thread in light of how cameron and his ilk are allowed to derail threads like the ultralight revolver thread.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools