Topic

Instant Lentil Soup Mix ???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Instant Lentil Soup Mix ???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I have been reading Mike Clelland's new book Ultralight Backpackin' Tips and one of the recipes calls for instant lentil soup mix (supposedly available in bulk at health food stores). Unfortunately, I just spent half a day driving around town looking for it – nobody in my town stocks it.

Oh, I know, the internet will have it! Yeah, right, I just spent an hour looking for instant lentil soup mix on the internet and the best I could do was this product:

MJF Organic Lentil Soup

$6.75 for 1.5 servings or $223 for 15 lbs. *sigh*

Can anyone recommend a source where I can buy instant lentil soup mix, preferably natural or organic and in bulk (not 15lbs. of it).

Thanks!

(Mike, I'm lovin' the book, by the way)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Well…what you are looking for was commonly sold at health food stores with bulk sections. This is often the brand in those bins:
    http://www.tasteadventure.com/products/soups/index.htm#curry

What will also work is http://www.nilespice.com/products/index.php which many grocery stores stock in the soup aisle.

If you need a recipe for making a FBC lentil soup mix let me know, I have one in our upcoming book 2 I can send you! (I think I actually have 2 or 3….)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Also….you can buy precooked and dried lentils from http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com – they are fantastic I might add and will even rehdyrate with cool water. It is what I use in my lentil recipes. Cheap and tasty! Get the BIG container!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"$6.75 for 1.5 servings"

That seems excessively expensive.

If I am browsing around a really good grocery store, I will find dehydrated soup in a paper cup, and once in a while there will be lentil type. The price is typically $1 to $2 per cup.

I empty the contents into my own plastic bag and take it on the trail that way.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Bob, those cups you mention are usually the Nile Spice brand although some stores will stock a generic brand as well. I have found that at large drug stores you can get them cheap often…..sometimes even Big Lots.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, Nile Spice or a similar brand.

The only problem with buying them in a cut-rate store is that they may be somewhat stale. On the other hand, dehydrated soup mix seems a little stale when it is new. Some have date codes marked.

–B.G.–

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found some at a health food store. The store itself had packaged the soups into 1 pound bags for about $7 per pound. They also had the black bean soup and corn chowder. So the health food stores may have it, just not in bulk bins.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

And out West … the WinCo chain also carries it in bulk as well!

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

My local stores have a curry lentil soup mix and a pre-spiced black bean mix that both work with a cook-in-the-bag style dinner. $5 per lb.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

If you have a dehydrator you can simply make lentil soup at home and dehydrate it. It's tastier, cheaper, and you'll save a lot of time by not having to run around looking for product. I can post my recipe if you like.

I'm headed out the door on a camping trip though and won't be home until after the weekend but send me a pm to remind me to post it – if you want a recipe that is. Okay… I'm rambling… pre-camping excitement (like a kid).

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Have you checked Whole Foods (If a WF is near where ever you live)?

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I live near two Whole Foods markets and neither sells lentil soup mix – wow. So, I ordered Taste Adventure's Curry Lentil Soup online instead. Amazon.com sells it, too, in case you are already shopping there.

Thanks for all the help :-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

It is very tasty, glad to see Amazon is carrying it as well!

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

In Arizona, Basha's grocery stores have dried lentil soup mix in the bulk food bins.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools