Topic

Fastpacking gearlist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fastpacking gearlist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have been away busy, with school, and the varsity cross country season, so I havent posted a gearlist in a while. so heres my updated gearlist for 3 season fastpacking. around 30 miles a day, temps down under 30

Clothing worn & items carried
    04.20 Salomon Raid SS zip tech shirt
    03.30 Asics running shorts
    28.40 Salomon XA pro 3Ds
    01.50 Defeet aireator socks
    01.60 Headsweats super visor
    01.70 High gear Axis altimiter/compass watch

Clothing carried
    06.80 The north face DIAD jacket
    02.40 Mont bell U.L. wind pants
    05.30 Salomon Raid LS zip tech shirt
    01.50 Defeet Aireator socks
    00.90 TNF ascent beenie (powerstretch)
    01.20 Outdoor poweron gloves (powerstretch)

08.50 BMW cocoon pullover (cold weather option)
    06.10 Salomon XA raid tights(cold weather option)

Sleeping and shelter
    04.20 BMW stealth 0 NANO tarp
    01.30 Gossamer gear polycro groundsheet
    01.90 (8)BMW hi vis tent stakes
    00.30 BPL aircore guylines
    18.00 Montbell UL alpine down #5
    03.60 Gossamergear nightlight pad

Packing
    20.00 Golite 24 pack
    00.10 homemade sil nylon stake bag
    00.40 2x BMW NANO stuff sack sm.
    00.60 2x BMW NANO stuff sack med.
    00.20 4"x7" Alosak

Cooking and Hydration
    00.20 mini zen stove
    00.70 platypus lil nipper bottle
    00.20 oven liner windscreen
    02.40 snow peak 450 mug
    00.30 BPL long handled spoon (shortened)
    00.20 diamood matchbook
    01.00 dyneema cord for bearbagging
    01.80 2x platypus 1 liter bottles

Other essentials
    01.00 homemade firstaid kit
    01.00 rapair (duct tape & super glue)
    01.50 assorted toiletries
    00.80 headnet & small bottle of DEET
    01.30 whistle, knife, and photon light on spectra lanyard
    01.00 Dermatone sun protection

worn or carried 2.5lbs
    in pack 5.1lbs
    cold weather option 6.0lbs

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

This gear that you actually have and use or a want list? Interested in comments? I definitley feel the adjustment towards an AR style or more durable pack.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I don't see any insulation layer for wearing when at rest — or to supplement your MB No. 5 for temps under 30F. More power to you, but too cold for me…

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

as of right now I have most everything on this list, except really for the big three, the tarp, bag, and pack. I am now using a nunatak arc ghost with a bivy. an oware cat tarp, and a golite dawn pack…which is way too big.

as for the insulation layer, I would add a BMW cocoon jacket for a trip longer than two nights. but this is more of a weekend list. where I try and walk all day to get as many miles into one day as possible, so I dont have much time at rest, and I can bear sleeping at cold tempereatures better than most, at least for a while. so like I said, if the trip is more than one or two nights, I would add an insulation layer, because over the course of a few days, alot of calories are burned, and I am not as able to sleep comfortably at cold temps.

I will post some more comments a little later.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've brought tights once before but wouldn't again at the weight unless it was cold enough that I'd be wearing them all the time. Knee warmers weigh ~2.5oz (for a reasonably heavy pair) and keep me plenty warm when moving considering you have windparts too. Then you could bring high loft pants instead or nothing at all for a short trip.

I'm planning on getting the cocoon pants whenever they are out again although for top insulation it will vary a lot more with temperature.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ryan, that is an enviable list; It has too little comfort or safety margin for me, but more power to you..

The MB#5A is rated to 43'F, and my experience with two of these bags is that the rating is spot on, IMO. I suggest an insulation layer if you are out in 30F weather. You seem to prefer synthetics, so I recommend the MontBell Thermawrap jacket and pants (about 573g total); this should take your #5 to its lower published limit of -2C.

What are you cooking in, the 450ml cup? Trade up to a 600ml cup and you can prepare your meal re-hydration water and hot drink water in one boil.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

thanks for the comments chris and brett.

I think you guys are right, I can push the comfort limit on sleeping bags a little, but for saftey reasons, I will make sure to include my BMW coccon pullover on my list, if i am expecting any temperatures under 40.

as for the cup, I have a 600ml mug too. but I like the 450 because it is smaller for packing, it boils enough water for meals or hot drinks. of course you can not cook right in the mug like the 600, but I choose to cook in a seperate bag anyway so I can avoid cleaning.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Ryan,
    I really envy your list.

I have a homemade 17oz, (with 9oz of 800 fill) quilt and can barely take it down to 30*. My nuts get soo clod they even cruel up and go inside.
    If I had the nuts to incorporate your list with mine, I could almost give Bill F. a run for his money.

I am guessing that you do a lot of running with your pack??
    I still can't understand why with such an awesome list that you refuse to use a much lighter modified G6 pack or similar.

I also do a lot running with my H/M 6.5oz pack and I couldn't imagine needing anything heavier duty.

I see this on the list:
    01.30 Gossamer gear polycro groundsheet.
    At that weight you have the 32" wide version.
    When using the GG Pads small profile, the 40" groundsheet gives you much better protection and will cover a much larger portion under the tarp.

You just helped me want to take a big look at my list to squeak a few unneeded ounces out of it.
    Merry Christmas

Lorraine Pace

@sowthefrikan

How nice to be able to carry just two liters of water. Most of my packweight is generally water. Someone needs to invent water that is lightweight.

mark henley

@flash582

I've got some dehydrated water I can sell you!LOL

Lorraine Pace

@sowthefrikan

Someone seriously needs to come up with something. :-D

David Wills

@willspower3

looks pretty good to me. I'm in the same boat, being able to make sleep gear go below where it should. I would recommend something like my 12 oz summer quilt. It's synthetic, which would help with smaller shelter like the nano, and repels water very well if constructed like I did. I use it down to 40* without discomfort. You could definatley save lots of weight with a different pack. I would consider the fanatic fringe alpine pack. Its made of durable materials, is relativley cheap, and only weighs 6 or 7 oz. Also, if your really picky, the GG thinlight would save a few oz. You can check out my sub 3lb gear list under my profile. I don't use any crazy materials and my shelter seems big to me. I stopped using a stove, more out of lazyness than anything. Hotdogs over a fire seem nutritous enough. A keg can pot could save an ounce, is fun to make, and looks manly on the trail if you want to cook. Happy trails

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools