Topic

Flowed Lands/Hanging Speak Falls/Mt. Marshall in ADK Western High Peaks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Flowed Lands/Hanging Speak Falls/Mt. Marshall in ADK Western High Peaks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Went out with 6 friends this past weekend to Flowed Lands for a few days.

Beautiful area….will let the pics speak for themselves. :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.640800987696.2127585.17506531&l=a81116bc29&type=1

Massive erosion and damage from Hurricane Irene in the area that made trails very wet, muddy, and slow to travel, but very rewarding in the end with friends. Hiked in from Upper Works road 6+ miles the first day to Livingston Point (had to back track to look for a hiker I was worried about). The next day did 5.5 miles over to Mount Marshall where my partner and I proceeded to bushwhack for 3 hours because we lost the trail (darn blown down). We got to the summit (not so great view.) and headed back to Livingston Point. Next day I headed to Hanging Spears Falls and then back out to Upper Works Rd. for 6.7 mile day. In this area you need strong ankles and cannot be afraid of getting wet. :p The hiking goes slow with so many roots, erosion, and mud!

You can see all the pics in the above link, but here are some sized down panoramic shots from my Panasonic DMC-LX5:

tyre

r5wq

qqqqqqqgr

kkkeg

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

– This was my first trip to the High Peaks…it was worth it. That basin/valley of Flowed Lands is absolutely beautiful.

– My GG Murmur was great for 3-season SUL list plus Bearikade Scout. Only problem was address some extra padding in lower back as the bottom of the can was digging in over time.

– I love my down sleeves from JRB. They are multi-use, plus they server as lighter and better coverage foot (calf) warmers vs. my heavier EMS down booties.

– I slept really well the first night, but was sore the second from the hiking and did not sleep as well. I will increase my Benadryl to 75mg first before going to a SUL hammock setup as a good night's rest is a higher priority for me these days as I go for longer trips (can take a night or two of crappy sleep, but not 3 or 4).

– Hammocks were much better for this region of the ADK High Peaks as there was a lot of storm damage and erosion in the area, plus the ground was extremely damp. Getting off the ground for more comfy sleep FTW.

– My trail runners turned from light grey to darn brown after slugging through mud all day, but I was more comfy than friends with heavier boots that were "waterproof" and eventually let water in. At these temps I just let the water come in and my feet gave off enough heat to keep my feet comfy. No blisters either.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Bryce,

Great set of images. I lingered on the photographs of the dense low lying fog, I just don't see stuff like that where I tramp.

Thanks for sharing these with the collective here.

Peace.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Bryce, have you shopped around and decided what would be your full setup for hammock camping? You being so SUL, I'd love to hear a detailed reply.

Nice pics!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

My weight will obviously go up, but what can you do if it means you get a decent knight's sleep? This is why I will try more drugs first, they weigh less. :p

I'll use my newly ordered (not delivered) wraith tarp in .51CF (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52389) that I currently plan to use with my MLD bug bivy and a grand-trunk nano hammock with new webbing/lines to suspend it. Haven't figured out the bug netting yet though or what I'd do to cook in a buggy area (as the bug netting only cover the hammock, not underneath it where I may have to cook some time).

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Thanks for the trip report.

I plan to do more hiking in ADK next year.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Euguene, when are you going to invite me to come hike and take photos of your fog-less terrain? :p

(Any time you want to come up to the Catskills or ADKs just lemme know!)

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

These are great pictures, Bryce. Looks like you timed the weather perfectly too. Thanks for posting!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Bryce,

Looks like you had a great time. I love the high peaks, but there aren't any bad trips to be found in the ADK region. When I go up there I love slowing down and keeping the mileage easy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools