Topic

Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Duke

@jd1987

I think the campbells soup cup is a great idea. Light weight with a lid. And insulated. Beware though – while the creamy broccoli does taste good, the smell is tough to get rid of.

Jay Miche

@jaymiche

Just picked up the Light My Fire Spill-Free cup for $3.93 at REI Overstock. It's usually part of a kit, but this is sold separately. 2.4 ounces. Compact. Seems to work fine.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

For about 40 years I have been using a simple 12oz aluminum cup that wieghs 1.635oz.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Aluminum is a terrible choice for keeping things hot. Nothing worse than making a hot drink and having the last half of the cup be cold by the time you drink it. Titanium is durable and light, just make sure it's double walled.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I usually only drink hot stuff on snow trips, and then I drink them out of a 1/2 liter Nalgene. In between sips it slides down inside my boot and warms up the boot. Dual purpose.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I haven't read through all the posts, but I'd imagine Snowpeak has come-up a few times. I have a Ti cup from a lightweight Snowpeak pot set. While it's light, it does burn the lips and of course your coffee gets cold F-A-S-T. What I would recommend is the Snowpeak Ti insulated cups: two layers of Ti with a vacuum in-between [thermos style]. They even offer "hot-lips" a little silicon insulator to protect your lips.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"Aluminum is a terrible choice for keeping things hot. Nothing worse than making a hot drink and having the last half of the cup be cold by the time you drink it. Titanium is durable and light, just make sure it's double walled."

Yeah, it does conduct heat out fairly quickly. Easy to warm up again, though. It does require a bit of technique that involves more slurping than drinking when it's hot. But, few cups can match the weight and durability.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Roy

"the Snow Peak lid is one of the worst pieces of crap I ever bought."

I have the same issue with their lid (the seal in particular) and my SP Ti-Double H450 Stacking Mug. What is the other lid you found that fits?

I use the above mug when I don't care about having to carry the extra weight, otherwise I'm now using a Evernew Ti Companion Cup (1.7oz) with a pair of Snow Peak Hot Lips. Fits inside my Evernew 0.9L pot with SP Ti LiteMax stove, fuel canister, LMF Firesteel, mini bic and lightload towel.

The nice part of the Ti Companion Cup is I can pop it back on the burner for a few seconds if I need to heat my drink back up a little. Can't do that with the SP H450.

TIA!

KJ

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Sexy with history. 1.1 oz. Check your thrift stores for any of the melamine stuff. The lids off of old Thermos containers are great as well.cup

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

get a styrofoam cup, keep it in your cookpot to keep it from crushing. 0.1 oz.
    It doesnt get any lighter, cheaper, easier.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would love to have a double-wall Ti cup but I have never been able to justify the expense and they aren't light. A SnowPeak 450 is 4.2oz compared to one of the larger Aladdin insulated plastic mugs that are 4.8oz. $43 makes me wince.

I take an Evernew 400 Ti mug for day hiking with a little Esbit wing stove and a folding Ti spork inside and a foil windscreen. That is great for a hot drink or soup and the point is that I can cook in it as well as use it as a coffee cup. It works with one of the SnowPeak silicone "hot lips" to save my lips. The mug itself is 1.8oz.

I have used plain plastic mugs from GSI and others. IIRC, they are about 2oz and all are cheap.

Years ago I found a plastic cup with a foam cozy that holds 12oz, weighs 2.8oz and cost $0.99. I do like lids to keep the hear in and bugs and pine needles out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I never use metal. Either I burn my lips or the drink gets cold fast.

I like the large GSI Lexan cups.

Cheers

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I bought a 10 fl. oz plastic measuring cup with handle at a thrift shop for 50 cents.  It weighs 1.4 oz/37 grams.  Drilling holes in the handle will drop a few more grams.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but a Velveeta cup works well. Super light, fairly durable, cheap, insulated, recyclable. I haven’t noticed any off-flavors (cheese or plastic) when I’ve drank my coffee or tea out of it. If you want your liquids steaming hot, you could make a lid for it. I chose not to.

John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

I have settled on the GSI Infinity mug for the time being. Clocks in at 3.5 ounces so it isn’t one of the lightest but with the lid and insulation it keeps coffee hot while you linger. I drilled a small hole in the lid to tie a knot and run through the handle to avoid misplacing.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

Since I started making meals in my pot again, I started bringing a Fozzil snap cup (volume of 11.8oz) which weighs in at a scant 1.2oz. I like it because it doubles as a measuring cup and can hold hot liquids. I’ve also carefully used it as a cutting board for things like spam and cheese. When I’m done, it unsnaps flat and goes in my outer pocket.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

lol Spam! My son eats it right out of the foil pack plain while backpacking. ::shivers::

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

That’s the only time I eat it. :)

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I’m surprised nobody has brought up the GSI Halulite Minimalist.     It is my cook pot and my routine is boil water for food, then boil water for coffee.   It is insulated, has sippy top, and I don’t have to bring anything extra to have a slow hot cup of coffee while examining the reason for consciousness.

I bought a Flat Cat Gear Snow Leopard that carries inside of it.  I have no need for a stuff sack over it but I do use a rubber band to secure the lid.    I forget the weight of the cup alone but the entire system is 7.4 ounces which includes the mini-Bic, alcohol stove, windscreen, and pot supports.

It isn’t the lowest weight cook set but it is the lowest weight system which includes a very good fully insulated coffee cup with a sippy lid.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I paid $23 for an Evernew 300ml Ti single wall mug with the fixed handle in 2010. It is used daily, taken on every trip, no sippy lid but it only took one spill to learn that lesson (ended up wearing some really nice whisky). Definitely worth the money spent if your plans include long-term usage.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just can’t get into plastic cup for hot liquid.  Leaches weird chemicals.  Probably not that big a deal for occasional use though.

And food cans have a plastic lining.

I just drink out of my 900 ml cook pot.

I’d sort of like to bring a cup, like the 450 Ti for $30 at 2.4 ounces doesn’t look too bad.  By the time the fluid cools enough to not burn, the rim of the cup will have cooled even more.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m partial to the MLD 475 mug at 1.3 ounces and $30. I don’t have a problem sipping coffee from it. It works fine with Snow Peak Hotlips and a neoprene beer can cozie will stretch around it but I just have a silicone band on mine now.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

Toaks  550 ML   2.5 oz.      very simple!

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

A jetboil sol lid also fits on top of the toaks 550ml. It gives you a top you can close and a sippy, with lip insulation as well. 

Fits nicely in the gossamer great cosy for insulation and storage too.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Some green GSI plastic cup I picked up somewhere for a couple of dollars that weighs 2 3/8 ozs. Don’t really need a $30 double walled titanium mug for coffee or a yeti cozy for a beer, when I’ll drink it in 10-15 minutes. Just how long do we need to keep things hot or cold now days?

I do like Brendan’s melamine mug. Half the weight of mine, so I’ll have to put the misses on lookout in her antique forays.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools