Topic

Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    David Wooten

@sc_dave

I lean towards Ti but would entertain aluminum. Don't mind spending the money for Ti but I don't want to do it twice. I really would appreciate some recommendations please. Thanks in advance, David

noneur business
    Spectator

@that_one_dude

I prefer plastic as it doesn't burn my lips nearly as much. GSI has some options.

Usually though, I just use my cookpot.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

when I'm solo I just drink my coffee out of my "pot" a 600 Ti Snowpeak, when going w/ the wife we use these @ $1.75 and under 2 oz, not too shabby :)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/gsi_outdoors_cascadian_cup_spotlite_review.html

Roy Staggs

@onepaddlejunkie

Locale: SEC

There are just some things I take because I love them. One of those items is my Snow Peak Double Wall 450 titanium cup. I use a sippy cup lid from another cup because as great as the 450 is, the Snow Peak lid is one of the worst pieces of crap I ever bought. I love the way it keeps my coffee warm until I finish drinking even in cold weather and no burned lips no matter how hot the coffee is. It's also my everyday all day cup.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if you have the ability to carry it without crushing it … just use a styrofoam cup or something similar … cheap, light … no need for TI ….

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Light, cheap, insulates, doesnt crumble like styrofoam. Spend your saved $ on cuben.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've switched from an REI Insulated mug to a Ziploc 2-cup storage container. Much lighter but doesn't keep it warm for very long. I don't mind this potential drawback as I like my coffee a little cooler than boiling.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I will second mike and roger here in support of the GSI cup. I got it with a cookset a while ago and use the bowl and cup fairly frequently, if going light light i just bring a snowpeak titanium bowl (like $15, great deal) and drink and eat out of that. a little akward but not too bad!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Campbell's soup cup…..

soup can

David Wooten

@sc_dave

Thanks folks, I certainly appreciate the input.
    David

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the Campbells soup container certainly looks interesting- looked it up and it holds 10.75 oz (317 ml) which is plenty for a cup of joe, what's the little devil weigh? relatively sturdy?

tia

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

It's pretty sturdy.

One ounce with the lid.

Insulated.

And free if you buy the soup!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not too shabby :) thanks for pointing that one out

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

A 12 oz Starbucks cup will do the trick. If you get sick of it you can always burn it. Truly UL.

Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

I've made one out of a nivea shaving cream bottle. I just added a silicon kids bracelet for the rim and that was that! It comes in at less than 2 oz. but it is a bit warm on the lip.

The nice thing is that nivea uses a bladder for the shaving cream so there isn't any mess to clean up when you cut the bottle open (although there is pressure).

It does the job though. Here's a pic:
    http://twitpic.com/5n5kih

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Cut off the top of a gatorade bottle. It works great for general use and fits inside your cookpot.

Stargazer

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Free Starbucks coffee cup. A couple if I am out a week. I don't care for the metallic or styrofoam taste. Very light and fits in my pot set. Soto and lighter fit in cup for easy carry and no crush.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

AntiGravity Gear makes this one:
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-8-oz-insulated-zip-mug.html

It's basically a Ziploc plastic bowl insulated with, I believe, Reflectix. The insulation is glued to the cover but the bowl part can be removed from the insulation.

You could DIY with a 2-cup bowl.

When solo, I use my cooking pot. With the grandkids, each has his/her own color of the GSI Cascadian cups.

Ty Reidenbaugh

@the_will

Locale: Southern California

Liked this idea…went out and bought one. Have you come up with a solution for the poor lid seal?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I use a plastic margarine tub that has a capacity of about 15 ounces.

When the rest of my cook kit is packed, the margarine tub is inverted and stuck down over the kit, so it is all self-contained.

If it is winter, I take two of them, and when stuck together it makes an insulated cup.

–B.G.–

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I've used the Campbells soup cup, but it is a little small for my coffe-drinking needs, and tended to dribble on my jacket. It does keep your drink warm surprisingly well. I've settled on the GSI cup with the thin neoprene-type sleeve. Holds 16 oz., really keeps a drink hot, and, if I recall correctly, weighs about 2.5 ounces.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For decades I've been using the standard plastic measure-marked camping cup with the inverted "L" handle. It's inexpensive,simple, tough, light and I can measure with it.

In winter I do use a plastic, insulated and closed top mug instead of "Old Faithful".

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I've got some 1/8" thinlight ccf that I'm going to try and wrap my GSI mug w/, shouldn't add more than 0.1 oz by my thinking- we'll see :)

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

While not the litest weight, I really like the SP600 TI mug. For cooking, I have a fourdog stoves TI lid.

For drinking coffee, the 11.3 oz folgers lid with two strategically placed holes does the trick.Folgers snap on 11.3 oz lid, modified by me

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

When solo I'm drinking out of my pot. But, otherwise I like GSI 1.9 ounce cup w/handle. The fact that they nest is great when I have the kids.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools