Topic

Hiking Utah slot canyons – Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Hiking Utah slot canyons – Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

This is a two day 21 mile hike in Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness. It starts in Utah, dips into Arizona and a time zone change, then finishes back in Utah. Once you drop in to this deep slot canyon, there's only one place to climb out in over 15 miles! More photos and a trip report on my site PlanetRambler.com

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    This pair were 2 of only 15 people I saw both days, and the only ones going my direction. High in the air, a jammed log shows the height of past water levels.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    There are moments when these subterranean skylit chambers feel mystic and sacred.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    Sun, stone and sand in Buckskin Gulch.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    Without people for scale, it's hard to relate the immensity of these walls.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    A few more hikers returning from an overnight trip to the confluence, which is my destination also.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    As clouds move across the sky, light and shadows flicker through Buckskin Gulch.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    Bizarre and amusing hydraulically-formed Hobbit houses

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    Alien habitats on the Paria River.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
    The Paria River joins the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry, the beginning of the Grand Canyon.

Check out more photos of hiking and exploring in the Western USA on my site 150mph.PlanetRambler.com

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Another destination I have to hit.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Beautiful photos (as usual). Thanks for posting!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I heard that Paria was hit with a couple of big storms over the last few years. From your pictures, it looks pretty passble now. Did you need and ropes for the trip? Where there any deep pools on the way? BEst regards – Jon

BTW, anyone going out in that area should consider going to the Wave. Awesome place.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools