Topic

Grand Canyon – Rim to River – South Kaibab to Bright Angel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Grand Canyon – Rim to River – South Kaibab to Bright Angel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

This iconic 16.5 mile round trip GC backcountry hike will test your stamina! It drops one vertical mile down from the rim in the searing heat to oasis-like Bright Angel creek. Then you have to climb back up! More photos and a trip report on my site PlanetRambler.com

Horseshoe Bend near Page AZ. It's 1000 ft. down to the Colorado River
    Horseshoe Bend near Page AZ. It's 1000 ft. down to the Colorado River

After a record wet season, the canyon is still cloaked in much of its Spring greenery. After sunrise, it quickly goes from warm to hot. You're advised not to hike from 11am-4pm to avoid heatstroke.
    Looking north from the South Kaibab trail. After a record wet season, the canyon is still cloaked in much of its Spring greenery. After sunrise, it quickly goes from warm to hot. You're advised not to hike from 11am-4pm to avoid heatstroke. At right, you can see the switchbacks down.

From a lookout point, a nice view of the bend where green Bright Angel canyon joins the Colorado River.
    From a lookout point, a nice view of the bend where green Bright Angel canyon joins the Colorado River. To the left is Silver Bridge, at right South Kaibab bridge.

dffd
    By mid-afternoon, the thermometer shows 107 degrees! The Park Service encourages hikers to loll about in icy cold Bright Angel Creek, building pools in which to cool off. The stream will revert to it's natural state in the winter.

Check out more photos of hiking and exploring in the Western USA on my site 150mph.PlanetRambler.com

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've only visited the canyon in the late fall/early spring months and the temperatures have been reasonable. My dad just got back from the Cranberry Route yesterday and he said the temperatures were above 110*. He had to hike in the early morning hours and again after the sun went down to keep going. He said it was beautiful country, but the heat makes it unbearable.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Beautiful pictures, as usual. I have asked you before…is it a Nikon?

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Thanks for the comments. I carry a Nikon D5000 SLR

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Great trip and always worth the trip back up!

Two questions:

Was the water flowing on the way back up?

Are they still doing "ranger talks" at Phantom Ranch?

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Yes they give regular ranger talks at Phantom Ranch – in season.

And yes water was flowing mid-summer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools