Topic

How does one become a thru-hiker?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How does one become a thru-hiker?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    John Drollette

@tradja

Locale: Central Oregon

Awesome:
    "I hope it's enough miles to give him the full experience–The Change–that comes with a big hike like the PCT."

…and that, to answer the OP's original question, is how you "become" a thru-hiker. Great description of it, Piper.

@Nick
    : Thanks very much for the thoughts from the other side of the desk. I definitely will keep those perspectives/concerns in mind when interviewing next time.

Ben Satterfield

@satterfield-bengmail-com

Locale: Virginia

So after reading all the post in this thread. I would love to know if the original guys (Jordan & Ryan) ever made it out on the trail. It has been over 3 years since the first post.

At my point in life with two kids and a wonderful wife, I still only get to do a couple weekend hikes. Two of the Boy Scout in my troop are wanting to thru-hike the AT. In their stage in life, (high school grads before going to college), now is the best time to go.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Having hiked the PCT in 2009 and being a kind of armchair psychologist, I have a lot to say about this topic. I met a lot of folks on the PCT last summer and met different categories of people with different paths to thru-hiking:

1. Student stage (can occur at any age as long as person doesn't "settle down"): work at disposable jobs, live frugally, save up over the year for the thru-hike, then quit job. After hike, look for new job (some people this season spent months and months looking for work!). For most people, this is a temporary way of life until they settle down. But you can keep it up for several seasons in a row for sure. To see your PCT pals, you'll just have to go back and hike the PCT again, or maybe the CDT!

2. Once-in-a-lifetime thru-hike: anybody can do this. Just save up money, quit or suspend your job, and do it!! Maybe you'll get a chance a few years later to do an other one, maybe not.

3. Outdoor professionals — guides, foresters, rangers, ecologists, bird-banders, geologists, etc. For these people the thru-hike even kinda relates to their job. Their work allows them to do this kind of thing often, and a thru-hike fits neatly into their other activities.

4. People with savings or passive income: build your own business, then hire a manager or put it on hold, or work hard at a high-paying job for 5-10 years and save 80% of your earnings, then do what you want for the rest of your life as long as it's not too expensive, or find some other way to generate passive income of no less than $500 a month to finance your wanderings. Can thru-hike indefinitely.

5. Professional athletes: the trail is your job, albeit a fun one — as long as you remain sufficiently unique to attract sponsors.

Ultimately it seems like the freedom to thru-hike depends on one's ability to control their finances. There may be other factors that you can't control like family demands, health issues, etc., but finances are usually the crux of the matter.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools