Topic

help me w/ my 30th anniversary backcountry meal selection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition help me w/ my 30th anniversary backcountry meal selection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my wife and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary at the end of October and are planning a 3 day trip around it, this is my wife's first foray into shoulder season backpacking so I'm going to try and make it as pleasurable as possible :)

I'm planning on bringing a couple of small fillet mignon medallions to grill, have them pre-seasoned and ready to go; I'd like to have a nice side dish to go w/ it- something I can just add boiling water to

if I'm lucky I'll have a couple of trout to grill w/ the steak (surf and turf :)), but I know better than to count on that happening

possibly a very small loaf of bread to heat up?

I think on night two I'm going to try a Hawk Vittle selection- I ordered both their hot italian sausage/pasta and shrimp jambalaya so I'll have to pick one

lunches I think we'll go w/ our normal dry salami/cheddar/mini pitas, but maybe a quick hot soup to go along? anything that is good, easy and available at the supermarket along those lines?

I'm also looking for a good hot cereal to bring, temps are going to be very cool in the mornings so our normal cold cereal isn't going to cut it

any and all suggestions welcome

thanks in advance

Mike

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It's your anniversary! There's not going to be time to eat!

"If this 'Mids a-rocking, don't come a-knockin"

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Congrats Mike!

I have a single serving of the Packit Gourmet "Austintacious Tortilla Soup" that I won't get to use this fall. It calls for 12 ounces of boiling water and is perfect for two people to share to supplement lunch. It's one of the best soups I've ever had – not just on the trail.

I've always enjoyed your posts so as an anniversary gift I'd love to ship it to you for your trip. Just PM me your address and I'll try to get it in the mail to you today or tomorrow.

Tom Ferry
    BPL Member

@thecook

Sounds like you are willing to do some cooking not just FBC so how about Trader Joe's quick steel cut oats with real maple syrup added for sweetness. Or the freeze dried eggs from Walmart with cheddar cheese, onions, and hot sauce in tortillas for a breakfast burrito?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Steven- is it possible we are related? :)

Kevin- very generous- thank you, I'll shoot you a pm

Tom- those sound good, but no Trader's Joe around here- anyone know if the "Better Oats" are any good?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Congrats!! We just celebrated our 19th and it still doesn't feel like I've been married that long.

Do you have a food dehydrator?

I have an instant Mocha Mousse recipe if you'd like that.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Laurie- thank you- the years do go by quick :) I don't have a dehydrator, but probably should- huh?

I was thinking maybe season the steaks w/ cajun seasoning and then maybe a red beans and rice side- any instant or recipes on a BIB for that that? still open to other side suggestions as well :)

tia

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This is non food related but I might suggest 2 synmat UL with coupling kit

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Mark- the coupling kit is a good idea :)

Mike

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

A figure 8 of light cord is all you need

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Congrats on the 30 years, Mike. I think she likes you.

Menu side dishes…Mary Jane's Farm makes a pretty good FD mac/alfredo, if you like that sort of pasta. The single person package is really 1-1/2 servings, which might be perfect as a side dish for 2.

Red beans and rice: MH makes a FD white rice, and Harmony House sells dehydrated red beans. I buy these in bulk, then repackage them into 1-cup portions, which I vacuum seal. They remain good for a long time, stored in my cool basement. I am more than happy to PIF you a package of each, which would be plenty for you to do your home experiment, and then take what you need on your trip. If interested, send me an e-mail at my home ([email protected]).

Edit: pre-coffee spelling error

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Mark- I've got some small shock cord- figured I could use it to secure the ccf pads and then have them pull double duty as a coupler

Gary- I'm going to take you up on your generous offer- email sent, very much appreciated. My wife thinks she can get dehydrated green peppers/onions at the health food store, add some seasonings (and a small bottle of cayenne sauce! :)

Mike

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Hi Mike,

If you are going to be having a fire or if you steam bake, some hot muffins for your muffin would be an excellent breakfast or dessert; mix up in a ziplock, cut corner of ziplock and squeeze into little muffin foils. Or bring bisquick mix and honey.

For lunches, miso soup packets are really satisfying and available at most grocery stores.

Other ideas: Fried summer sausage, roasted parmesan cheese over the fire until crispy brown, idahoan brand instant potatoes in their many varieties.

The knorr brand sides are salty but if splitting one up as an actual side the rice, cheddar and brocolli is quick and cheap and available everywhere.

Good luck, have fun, never underestimate the power of some hot chocolate when it's chilly. Or maybe baileys and coffee?

J

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

James- great tips! I really like the muffin idea, warm muffins w/ oatmeal (and a cup of Via Mocha :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"roasted parmesan cheese over the fire until crispy brown, "

Or wrap a round of camembert in foil and set over the fire for a bit (or better yet, in the coals if you're having a real fire), then serve with warmed cranberries over crackers. Very yum.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

And, I'm sure you've thought of this, but bring a candle for dinner by candlelight. Atmosphere, don't you know….

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that does sound good :) candle- brilliant, wish I could say I thought of that, but can't- thanks

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Kevin- the tortilla soup arrived today- replete w/ hot sauce! thanks so much, I'm sure it will do a good job of warming us up :)

Mike

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Mike, your packs of red beans and rice went out today, USPS Priority. Hope they work for you. You just need to figure out the right spices, peppers, onions, Tabasco etc. to go with it.

Forget the romantic candles–just sit in the middle of a ring of 5 moderate campfires. You'll be in the Beartooths, right? Romantic as all getout, and it'll keep those griz at bay…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks Gary!

I think we're going into the Crazies for this trip- no grizzlies to fend :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Gary- beans and rice made it here safely- thanks much!

will hit the health food store today to see if I can't put something together :)

Mike

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Pretty fast delivery, glad you got it. After I'd mailed it, I was rummaging through my "condiments" bin in the basement, and I found some packets of Tabasco. I was bummed, as I might have included a few of those in the box. But you can just load up on cajun spices and be fine, Mike. Maybe also carry a tiny bottle of Tabasco to bump things up. Anyway, now you know what vacuum sealing can do for long term storage, right? I hope you two have a great outing, and that the weather holds for you. Happy anniversary!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools