Topic

Food Storage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason Kloeker

@jkloeker

I'm sure this has been asked numerous times before but I can't find a definitive answer to save my life! I went to the Smokies over Labor Day weekend and took some Mountain House meals with me. To save space and weight I repackaged them FBC style. We ended up coming home early so I now have some left over food. How long can I store the meals like this? My thinking being the shelf life would be the same as if they were still in the original packaging but I'm not sure if that is the case. I also have a can of Nido that has been open. Does it have any storage requirements? And what is it's shelf life once open? I would like to just save this for the my next hike if possible, but dont want to risk getting sick on the trail. Any insight is appreciated!

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

I leave the Nido in the can it came in or put in a freezer bag and get the air out. There should be an expiration date on the can of Nido.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you live in a warm house or area keep the Nido in the frig. Most dry milk is a year once open…….

As for leftover meals? Make sure the air is pushed out and put in the freezer till your next trip!

Jason Kloeker

@jkloeker

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

The freezer is your friend. I do the same for egg crystals and the like. As soon as I open the can or pouch… into the deep freeze it goes. Just make sure you have all the air out and that the seal is good.

Now, when you remove it from the freezer be sure that you check for condensation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools