Topic

Who Put These UNWANTED Ads In MY Post? :-( :-( :-(

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Who Put These UNWANTED Ads In MY Post? :-( :-( :-(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Can someone rid the forums of these unwanted ads that have somehow become attached or embedded in our older posts on various threads.

I understand that the new Google enhanced search will have ads in the sidebar to help pay for the search engine. But I do not believe that this has anything to do with the new search engine.

Here is an example.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52922&skip_to_post=446669#446669

In this particular thread it seems that this latest spam attack has targeted members and life members. We are having words put in our mouths. NOT COOL

For the record, I am not at present in business and do not have a product line. I also have no association with gearbuyer. I do not recommend that anyone click on or follow these unwanted embedded links.

BTW this is a particularly heinous insult to Eugene and his wonderful article and trip report!

Party On,

Newton ;-(

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ken,

Thanks for the link.

I had found that same thread after making the OP but I do appreciate the pointer.

I just find it sad that our own BPL staff did it to us. ;-(

I understand the why, I just don't agree with the where one little bit. Put them across the top banner or on the side bar, not inside of posts on threads that makes it look as if I've gone into business and am taking advantage of all the members and guests on this forum!

Ryan said on the other thread, "…this is just a soft launch to see how it all works out."

IMHO it is not a soft launch at all! The software program is terrible at providing context related ads from information in the posts. It's not working out for me.

Clint said , also from the other thread, " – There's an ad for Newton shoes under a post by John Donewar, aka Newton

I make packs, quilts, tarps and bivies. I do not make or sell shoes! C'mon guys, move the ads and clean up the software.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools