Topic

Seeking advice on shelters made with metalized, reflective cuben fiber material

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seeking advice on shelters made with metalized, reflective cuben fiber material

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Nick,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with using laminated reflective materials on your tent trailer. Based on all of the comments that have been posted about reflective material delaminating, I agree that buying a reflective cuben product might not be the best investment (at least at this point).

Lately I have been wondering if it's possible to use one of those superlight reflective emergency blankets draped over a cuben shelter in warm weather to help cut down the heat. I've been carrying a reflective, emergency poncho for years, and if I switched to a reflective emergency tarp instead, perhaps I'd finally get some use out of it.

I found 4-packs of these weighing 1.75 oz. ea on sale here , so I ordered 2 packages of them. It will be fun to experiment with them.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The reflective purpose of the mylar blanket works. If you drape it over a shelter, you need to make sure you do not cover up any venting areas or you will be worse off than without it. These blankets are fragile and wind is a problem. But is certain is worth a try, since they are cheap and light. Years ago I tried them as ground sheets and they would last more than a night or two, they are that fragile.

In desert hiking I often take a break in the heat of the day. When temps are over 100F I am only looking for shade, and a tarp excels in this area. I would never consider any kind of tent or tarp tent for this purpose. I only want a roof to block the sun and I want 360 degrees of open air around me.

But give it a try and let everyone know how it works out for you!!

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Nick,

Your points are well taken. I probably should clarify a bit. I was thinking that I'd only leave the reflective blanket over the shelter during hot afternoons, and that I'd tie it to my tent states to keep it from falling/blowing off. My idea is to punch a few holes in the corners of the mylar blanket, then reinforce the holes with binder-paper type peel-and-stick type reinforcements.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools