Topic

AR pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) AR pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

hey, havent been on the forums for a few months, but I have a question.

I have been looking into a few adventure racing style backpacks, Im thinking of buying two, one for day-overnight-and mabey summer weekend pack. and also a weekend-sul expedition pack.

I like the adventure racing packs for their suspension and useability. they are equiped with alot more features than typical ultralight packs, this results in a higher weight, but for fastpacking and trail running, some of these features I find I cant go without. when I would be fine with a simple SUL pack for a slower trip.

the options are between
    the golite 24
    21oz
    1200cu.in.
    and the salomon RAid revo 20
    15oz
    1037cu.in.

also
    the golite multi-sport
    21oz
    1900 cu.in.
    and the salomon raid revo 30
    22oz
    1892 cu.in.

I kno my feelings on the packs, but am interested to hear your ideas/opinions

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome back Ryan

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've been wanting to try out the raid revo 20 since someone here had it on the scale at 10oz.

Alec Muthig

@alekat

Locale: Wyoming, USA

Hi Ryan,

I ended up buying the LaFuma Active 20 and really like the system it uses to hug the pack against the back. I used it for a 6-day desert stage race this last summer and performed very well.

http://www.argear.com/gear/grlafumaactive20-backpack.html

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

thanks christopher,

yes. I saw that weight listed on a few websites, but was not sure. good to hear. that makes me a little more sure for the lower volume pack, I like the hipbelt on the salomon pack better anyway.

I was dissapointed to find out there was a limited time offer on the raid revo 20 SLAB pack. and I missed it.
    it is basicaly the same pack, but included a few extra features designed specifically for the salomon AR team. but sadly it was only for a limited time, I guess salomon couldent let a pack as awsome as that, be open to their competition for too long

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

thanks Alec,

I saw that pack on argear.com, and considered it, but it was just a little too heavy for such a low volume pack.

but mabey for the extra stability it may be worth it, however the hipbelt on the raid revo looks large enough, and padded enough to stabalize the pack securely while running…has anyone had any experience running with the revo?

Alec Muthig

@alekat

I used to run with the earlier Saloman packs but not the Revo. Loved the pack, especially for mountain biking, but was a bit bouncy while running. Enough so that the stitching on the hydration sleeve kept tearing out.

The LaFuma is a bit heavier for a smaller pack, but the montion control system just blew me away… I sound too much like a LaFuma rep now.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

no problem, the lafuma looks like a great pack, I am really looking more into it now, the motion control is really the only reason I would consider an adventure racing style pack for fastpacking/ trail running. and also, I am looking into doing some adventure racing in the future.

one thing that interested me when reading about the SLAB pack was that the waistbelt used a velcro clousre instead of a buckle, im not sure if that is included in the basic Raid revo 20, but sounds like a good idea to avoid chaffing from the buckle.

the new airwing hipbelt and airflow system on the Revo also looked good, how is the ventilation on the lafuma and 24 packs

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

A big difference between the raid revo and the lafuma is that the salomon has a yoke style harness and the lafuma dosent

is there an advantage to one over the other?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ryan:

I think the type of harness boils down to personal preference — rather than any clear advantage of one over the other — which is why variations continue to exist in the market.

Speaking for myself, I've never liked the yoke style — but the best way to determine is to try it out yourself.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Welcome back Ryan,

I know I'm probably hijacking this thread, but I wondered where you had disappeared to and would love to hear about your long trip back in August. Any possibility of a write up?

l w

@lonewolf_rtc

Hi there Ryan.

All the packs on your short list look good but I ended up choosing the Kimmlite AR 22ssl (ssl stands for super seriously light) over them because it has more features, weighs less, and has the perfect volume.

Kimmlite is gone now; the new company is called Original Mountain Marathon (OMM). I got this pack on EBAY, it most likely is one of the last ones around and OMM is not currently making this model. This pack was very popular for the famous KIMM races in the UK.

Anyways I really dig this pack a lot. It has all the features I want in an AR pack but unfortunately it is too small for my torso size. I have never used this pack so it is in mint condition. If you are interested in this pack I could sell it to you. I will offer it to you first here and if you do not want it I will make a new thread and try to sell it there.

Here is a link that has lots of info about the pack.

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5680

Alec Muthig

@alekat

A few likes/dislikes about the LaFuma pack…

*Motion control system is excellent when running. Bounce is minimal.
    *Wide opening makes searching for gear easy.
    *Nice waist-belt pockets.
    *Waist-belt snap is off-center and has a bit of padding behind it.

Dislikes:
    *Main compartment closes with a zipper. That worries me as zippers seem to fail under load (it hasn't failed, but I still worry)
    *No side pockets like the Salomon pack (the motion control system straps are on the sides instead)
    *A bit heavier…

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

l w,
    thanks so much for the offer, Id go ahead and try selling it to someone else, I would probably buy it from you, It looks just about perfect, but I am not quite prepared to buy any of these packs just yet, I was planning on getting two in the spring for use in the summer. right now my extra money is focused on cold weather and ski gear.

thanks though.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Ryan,
    You need to update your profile.
    I was just in the Wilderness Exchange store in Berkley and got to see Vaude's brand new packs.
    The one that caught my interest was on of the 25 litter packs.
    The bad thing was I didn't catch the name of it.
    The two make they have are the Lasona and the Rock UL.
    I do know it weighed 13 ounces.

The new packs are much better equipped towards the AR crowd. It had a good sized top zip and 2 stowage areas inside.
    The best part about it was how amazingly comfortable it was. The only downfall was there was no cushioning on the hip belt.
    This was a seriously nice pack.
    I looked all over for the newest version but couldn't find it to post a link to it.
    If your are able to find one before you buy the pack it is definitely worth looking in to.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

To Ryan's first question, the GoLite 24 v the Multi-Sport…

I use the 24 on a daily basis, mostly for commuting back and forth to work on my bike. It fits my computer and a change of clothes fairly easily. I also use the 24 for short training hikes or runs, when I throw 10-15 pounds of water and dirty clothes into it just to have some weight on my back. Lastly, I have used th 24 on a number of occasions for SUL overnight/weekend trips. It's just the right size.

Things I love about the 24:
    – Load control (excellent)
    – Volume (perfect size)
    – Durability (I'll carry a few extra ounces for ripstop nylon so that it might last for longer than a race or two)
    – Mesh delta fins, shoulder straps, and back pad (breathable, quick dry)

Things that could be improved:
    – waist belt pockets (too small)
    – back pocket (not as function as it could be for backpacking)
    – silicone-impregnated nylon panel between mesh/foam back pads (collects moisture)

The Multi-Sport is the EXACT same as the 24, except it has 2 3L reservoir sleeves. I think the 24 is a better all-around pack, while the Multi-Sport woudl be too big for everyday purposes, but it could be used for a ultralight long-distance trek.

Ryan – Where have you been?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools