Topic

Nikon mirrorless system announced

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Nikon mirrorless system announced

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My only real issue with these cameras is the loss of depth of field control. I have a oly 510 and am in the process of buying an EPM-1. And really to get decent background blur you really need a minimum of f/2 at portrait lengths 45ish lens * 2x crop. To get the equivalent on the Nikon you need f1.4 on a 33mm lens. They definately can make that lens but can it be small and will they make it given that the focus of this system P&S photographers.

So this system is definately not for me as the current lens offerings do not meet my needs and it takes years to build up the lens lineup to where it needs to be. 3 years later and there is finally a fast small relatively inexpensive portrait lens for m4/3.

I think that if they can get the price down to around that $500 point it will be a success. Truthfully though if you put this sensor into an oly XZ-1 type body with a collaspable zoom lens I would be tempted by its small size. But as an interchangalbe lens product I'm not sure it works.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Greg,

I presume you're speaking of the MZuiko 45/1.8. Here's an early reaction from a photo blogger I respect.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/09/28/the-olympus-45-1-8-lens-arrives-wow-1st-look-video-review-soon/

I think Nikon's been a bit too clever in staking their mirrorless niche. My guess is it could become a bit of a cult camera, but not a marketing hit. The buzz compared to, say, the Fuji X100 is minor indeed and I think the Pentax Q system will actually compete for sales because it's really cute and tiny. Pixel counters aren't going to be drawn to either system.

Cheers,

Rick

Fargo Jacobs

@fargo83

Stephen Chan, thank you a lot for sharing! You comment is really very informative and it's clear you know what you are talking about!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

> The small sensor is a real disappointment.

Hear, hear!

I got tired of the fact that the Canon and Nikon prosumer and professional cameras are beasts, almost as big and heavy as my 4×5 kit, so I was pretty interested when I saw the announcement that Nikon was getting into the mirrorless act… until I learned that they were going with a tiny sensor, at which point I decided to switch completely from Nikon to Sony.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools