Topic

Wind River Range Traverse – August 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wind River Range Traverse – August 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

I finally got around to writing a trip report for a Wind River Range Traverse (Big Sandy to Green River Lakes) I completed last month.

Check it out here: http://genuflector.blogspot.com/2011/09/wind-river-range-traverse.html

I'm new to writing trip reports so please provide honest feedback (positive or negative) here or on the blog. Thanks!

Winds

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

Sweet!

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Hi, Justin.

Great report. The Wind River Range is one of my favorites. Early September is my preferred time for missing all those mosquitoes!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Great report! In a normal year (this wasn't!), the bugs are pretty well gone by mid to late August.

I had to cancel my trip this year (dog surgery and family issues), but you have great pics of some of the places I was going to (Spider Lake, Wall Lake)!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Bump.

This is a great read.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Justin–what dates did you go? I was planning a similar trip for August 8, but out of fear for mosquitos/snow packed passes, I went south to southern Utah instead. (I was planning on taking my sons, and was concerned mostly about clouds of mosquitos ruining the trip for them and, possibly, me).

Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

David, I was there the last week of August. I didn't have any issues with snow; I detoured around a few steep snowfields near Cube Rock Pass, but that was about it. The bugs, on the other hand, were pretty terrible, particularly around dinner time until after dark. I put up with the bugs as long as I could but typically retired to the relative safety of my bivy early. I wished for my Tarptent on more than one occasion.

If you've never been to the Winds, please do yourself a favor and plan a trip. You won't be disappointed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools