Topic

Backpacking versus Thru-hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Backpacking versus Thru-hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

Lynne Wheldon's video's got me into this mess, and I'll be forever grateful to him for it. Anyone who hasn't seen his stuff, you should take a look, its getting a bit long in the tooth now, but the lessons are enduring. Anything can take a couch potatoe like me and get him out of bed at 5am every morning for a 5mile jog out of sheer shame at the waste he was making of his life has got to be good. This sort of article is spot on as far as I am concerned.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

This article is a fun read, albeit somewhat provocative regarding the habits and characteristics of "backpackers". We're out of shape, eat expensive freeze dried food and carry chairs? Really?!?

Well, come to think of it, that's all true in my case, so it's probably true for the rest of you that self-identify as backpackers. Ha ha!! I can look by some of that to appreciate the point about Through-Hiking being an entirely different animal, especially after Day 7 on the trail.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I must admit I've never really considered there was any difference. For me a thru-hike – and I've done plenty – is just a long backpacking trip. I think what the article is really describing is different attitudes and I agree you need a different attitude for thru-hiking than a short backpacking trip where distance doesn't matter. As for weight, well, on my first thru-hikes I carried more weight than on short backpacking trips because I thought I needed both more actual gear and also more durable and heavier gear. I still completed and enjoyed the thru-hikes though. Now I carry much the same however long the trip.

david brown

@bigfeller

thanks for the great article :] I've always enjoyed the woods/trails for the simple reason I get to do my own thing and I do appreciate advise from others. but if I want to use tp after taking a crap after eating a huge fancy meal after enjoying it from the comfort of my CHAIR then let me [really how does it affect you ?] Please try to remember why you go out there ……. to enjoy YOUR self so please do so .Throwing around criticism is littering as well. And its just as rude as leaving poopy tp on da trail. have fun , god bless , and don't worry b- happy

Carlos M Perez
    BPL Member

@carlosmfd

Locale: Lake Nelson, Wind Rivers

I think that the article should have been titled "Hiker vs Camper". I believe the real difference is not the gear, but the goals and mind-set. I can appreciate and greatly respect the dedication, tenacity and heart required to undertake a through-hike, and recognize that many people enjoy both. However, the goals are very different. A through-hike, as a previous poster aptly described, is very linear, involves meticulous planning and adherence to a time-table. Fishing, exploring, nature-watching, etc, are rarely a consideration. It also has a very social aspect, with human connections made that enhance the experience. Hiking, on the other hand, is simply a means to immerse oneself in nature. The only timetable involves arrival and departure. All the time in between is frequently subject to chance and whim, or to a very generalized timetable. I have done everything from day hikes to 2 week off-trail bush whacking (the Wind Rivers and all the awesome trout-filled lakes, for example). As my experience has increased, my pack weight has plummeted, and I use many of the ultralight techniques I have learned both here and elsewhere to increase my comfort and enjoyment, as well as to increase the time available for those pursuits…plus, being able to crank out some serious miles is a rush in itself! We should worry less about HOW we hike, and just get out and do it while we can! And if we happen to cross paths some day, I'll be sure to share my trout and chocolate ;) Be safe! Carlos m. Pérez

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools