Topic

Water reliability and quality in McCurdy Park, Lost Creek Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Water reliability and quality in McCurdy Park, Lost Creek Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

Planning a trip for the LCW this coming weekend and the more I read about the water in McCurdy Park the more I am wondering how reliable and what quality it will be this time of year. Many reports suggest scarce water in mid and late Summer, this as me wondering about this time of year.

I've gotten some information from some folks that seem to back up my question.

Any recent first hand information or from a similar time of year in years past?

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I was last there maybe 3 weeks ago? It is sketchy this time of year. Let me know which route you'll be taking and I can provide some details. Since grazing is allowed, I consider all water in LCW as needing treatment, if that's what you mean.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

Specifically McCurdy Park and Lake Park areas with regard to availability and clarity/quality. In other words, is there a stream and good water or a marshy pond type area. I've heard two different things on McCurdy park water.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

I may not be able to help much. I was only in Lake Park once early last year doing the Goose Creek Loop and I didn't see any water sources at all. That was before I switched to carrying less water and I wasn't looking closely but I didn't see anything obvious. And the Trails Illustrated map, doesn't show anything obvious. You should probably plan on no water available on the Lake Park trail. Not sure what what trails you are taking to get there but If you come up from Twin Eagles on BM, there was a small trickle just north of where it connects with Hankins or Lizard Rock (not sure of what the trail is called there) in late August. Probably will be there. Then there's a small stream north of BM/Lake Park junction. That should still be available. If you turn west on BM to go to McCurdy or Bison, there's a couple small seepages that would be difficult to get water from unless you are using a filter or have a very small scoop. You can bushwack a little ways north of the trail just past McCurdy Mountain to get to McCurdy Creek which is a good flowing stream and a sure thing. If you go north on McCurdy Park, there's a creek that flows alongside for a while but I've only been there in late spring so can't vouch for that.

Sorry I couldn't be more help on this opne.

Tony Fleming
    BPL Member

@tonyfleming

Locale: Midwest

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for posting your LCW post trip report. It doesn't look like you went around the McCurdy Park side of the loop. Care to post what you found for water?

I also have two conflicting sets of driving instructions to get to the Goose Creek trail head. Can someone tell me the best route to get there coming out of C. Springs on 24 Highway?

Thanks,

Tony

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Tony, I haven't gone that way so I asked my buddy who does. He says 24 to 77 (Tarryall Rd) to 211 to to 558 (short road to TH).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools